Position at IDEA Public Schools
The Director of Compensation is responsible for evaluating and maintaining the organization's compensation functions for all of our 700+ roles and 11,000+ employees with a Total Rewards perspective. Under management and support of the Sr. Vice President of Compensation and Benefits, the Director of Compensation collaborates with department and organizational leadership by leveraging personal expertise and knowledge of compensation best practices within and outside of education settings, and leads to ensure that our compensation approach is set to be fair, competitive, and support our goals to attract, motivate, and retain IDEA Public Schools staff.
This is a full-time position with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Permian Basin (Midland/Odessa), Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Tarrant County (Fort Worth), or who are willing to relocate. The compensation team and your partners live throughout our IDEA regions, and you will be able to manage your team remotely with a small amount of travel during the year. You do have the option to work from a local IDEA office based on preferences.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $91,100 and $115,000, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for performance pay based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
• Maintain an integrated and competitive Employee Value Proposition for IDEA Public Schools staff that attracts, retains, and motivates IDEA staff
- Assess and monitor employee preferences among available policies and programs to simplify and improve offerings
- Examine exit survey, Great Place to Work survey, and other employee data to identify needs not currently met
- Lead Compensation team to provide timely and informative responses to managers and staff on any questions/needs related to IDEA's Employee Value Proposition
- Create and execute communication and change management plan for any revisions to our compensation approach
Ensure IDEA Public Schools staff are paid competitively while maintaining Total Rewards costs within annual targets and ensuring internal equity
- Lead Compensation team's external compensation benchmarking process to maintain competitive IDEA pay scales and recommend and execute shifts based on market
- Monitor FLSA laws and regulations to ensure compliance and make adjustments and recommendations when necessary
- Work across Finance, Talent Acquisition, and Employee Information Systems teams to maintain position control for the organization
- Train senior leaders and managers on IDEA's compensation philosophy and approach; engage senior leaders in strategic discussions around changes to approach
- Manage team to ensure execution of annual processes are completed with accuracy, efficiency, and strong customer service
- Analyze monthly budget reports to actual, including trends and analytics around data
Design, train, organize, and implement effective manager review processes across the organization to ensure 100% of IDEA staff members receive accurate compensation across all areas
- Partner with Talent Management team to ensure Staff Development Cycle allows for goal-setting, feedback, and annual performance reviews aligned with our rewards practices for staff; design materials that make direct connections to the Staff Development Cycle and our rewards and recognition systems, including our Performance and Incentive Pay programs and Teacher Career Pathway
- Build, share, and execute the vision for our compensation programs on the Hub (intranet site)
- Manage the project plans across our annual pay increase and bonus processes and partner with Payroll, Employee Information Systems, and other departments to execute with fidelity
- Partner with teams to ensure all staff receive complete and equitable Annual Performance Review ratings
- Implement improved integration of systems and processes as we scale, and ensure all data is communicated, gathered, and processed by final deadline
Lead and develop team members
- Develop trust and leverage influence of Compensation team to drive strong results
- Establish Compensation department goals and individual staff goals that contribute to the attainment of organizational goals and objectives
- Develop current team competencies and skill sets to be independent thinkers and contributors
- Create plan on how the team will be staffed as we grow
- Ensure the team receives strong evaluations of customer service and integrity from key stakeholders
- Lead day to day team management, including regular check-ins and participation of tactical meetings/team planning, strategies, etc.
- Deliver timely feedback and coaching through the Staff Development Cycle for all team members for continuous growth and improvement
- Instill strong work ethic with personal drive for success
• Education: Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree in related field preferred.
• Experience: 3+ years of experience managing adults and system-wide projects or programs, 5+ years of experience in compensation administration, including 3+ years of experience within education settings. Relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable
• Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) or other compensation related professional certification preferredKnowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in use of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Work in a fast-paced environment while meeting established deadlines; research, analyze, report and make sound judgments and work on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation
- Ability to implement policy and procedures; create complex reports, spreadsheets and databases; analyze and interpret data and statistics
- Ability to identify key stakeholders, build relationships, and influence decisions that impact your goals
- Ability to understand and differentiate communication and training for various audiences and relationships
- Operate with an organizational lens and encourage others to do so
You will be responsible for leading the Compensation team to meet high levels of performance in the following goal areas:
- Staff believe they are compensated fairly in the Great Place to Work survey
- Pay accuracy
- Staff retention (overall and high-performing)
- Customer service
- Budget fidelity
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff, and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Learn more about IDEA
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.