PURPOSE OF JOB
: Provide leadership for the school's entire athletic program through the ongoing development, implementation and improvement of the specific sport coached.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Compete with a full team in a complete varsity schedule (according to MSHSAA standards).
2. Implement and enforce athletic standards as outlined in the MSHSAA Handbook and attend all MSHSAA required sessions for head coaches and District professional development meetings.
3. Responsible for student supervision at practices and contests in accordance with KCMSD Athletic Department.
4. Assume responsibility for constant care of equipment and inventory being used. Inspect all athletic equipment and facilities (verify inventory) and submit documentation to Athletic Director/Principal.
5. Conduct team and self in an ethical manner during practices and contests, always exemplifying the highest standards of sportsmanship (LEADERSHIP AND SIDELINE SPORTSMANSHIP SHOULD BE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY, SO AS TO MODEL TO THE PARTICIPANTS THE DESIRED TYPE OF BEHAVIOR).
6. Arrange for the systematic return of all school equipment, maintain a correct inventory and hold the
student-athlete responsible for all equipment not returned in accordance with the KCMSD Athletic Department Handbook.
7. Maintain records of team and individual accomplishments and arrange for the issuance of
letters and special awards.
- All information must be turned in to the Athletic Director within two weeks after the completion of the season.
8. Work with the Principal to provide a solid program.
9. Continue professional growth through clinics and professional publications.
10. Responsible for all aspects of:
- player development,
- fund raising,
- internal & external promotion of specific sport and needs, and
- supervising an effective staff of assistant coaches.
11. Has full responsibility for all aspects of the program.
12. Establish performance goals for each sport season and evaluates them during and after the season.
13. Promote student athlete's accomplishments academically and athletically.
14. Provide statistics after each contest to District Public Relations and other media.
15. Must fulfill 8 contact hours of professional development:
- Outside mtgs/Clinics
- School level mtgs
- District level mtgs
- Must successfully complete the MSHSAA/NFHS Coaching Principles Course and Sports First Aid Courses.
16. A strong commitment to the student-athlete concept and must have working knowledge of all collegiate eligibility center regulations.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Student-Athletes and Assistant Coach(es)MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Must possess a four-year college degree and be contracted by the KCMSD Board of Education for the school year as a full or part time teacher or 1-3 years of coaching experience.
2. Knowledge of particular sport (philosophy & coaching)
3. Must successfully complete the MSHSAA/NFHS Coaching Principles Course and Sports First Aid Courses.
4. A strong commitment to the student-athlete concept and working knowledge of all collegiate eligibility center regulations.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:Employed as a teacher or administrator in the school in which the candidate applies for a coaching position;PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to:
Sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, and lift objects of at least 25 pounds.