Counsels and represents the School Department and its agents in suits, administrative actions, and claims brought against the School Department and its agents and performs general legal work under the direction and supervision of PPSD General Counsel and City Solicitor. The Assistant General Counsel reports to Chief General Counsel. EDUCATION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Juris Doctorate in Law
Current State of Rhode Island law license in good standing and admission to the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island. DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND CURRICULAR LINKAGES
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS STANDARDSplemental Information
- Investigates or assists in the investigations of suits or claims against the School Department.
- Does trial work in defending suits against the School Department.
- Assists in the preparation of contracts and other legal documents on behalf of the School Department and its agents.
- Advises School Department employees with respect to legal issues arising in connection with their duties.
- Performs legal research and renders general assistance to the Chief General Counsel in general litigation matters.
- Prepares professional development training on updates on developing areas in education, labor/employment and public health laws.
- Assists in management of District contracts.
- Prepares responses to discovery and public records requests on behalf of the Department.
- Advises, prepares and oversees completion of required internal memoranda and reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current State of Rhode Island law license.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal law, as well as established precedents and sources of legal reference, knowledge of judicial procedures and the rules of evidence.
- Ability to conduct independent legal research and to analyze and interpret results, ability to plan, organize and manage multiple projects.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to represent and act as an official spokesperson for the district. The incumbent is also required to effectively communicate with staff, parents and outside legal counsel in the resolution of legal issues in a tactful, courteous and respectful manner.
- Analytical ability to evaluate legal issues and develop effective solutions.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- You must complete the new hire compliance training prior to your first day of employment.
- Bilingual Preferred.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check. Selected candidates cannot begin work until passing their background check.
We offer a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health care, dental, vision, retirement, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, holidays, and Personal Time Off (PTO).