Works under the supervision of the Support Service Supervisor of Providence Public Schools. This position provides child pedestrian safety by facilitating safe passage of school children across high traffic streets and intersections. This position requires serious commitment to be at the Crossing Guard post/corner on each school day, before and after school hours. EDUCATION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED preferred DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND CURRICULAR LINKAGES
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS STANDARDSplemental Information
- Assembles children and other pedestrians behind curb lines awaiting traffic lines or signal changes
- Interrupts traffic and escorts pedestrians into the street allowing them to cross safely
- Instructs children in proper procedures for safe street crossing
- Observes vehicle movements and, safety permitting, records license numbers of vehicles whose drivers are jeopardizing safe street crossing by operating their vehicles in an unsafe manner and reports them to the Police Department
- Reports students who do not adhere to safe street crossing procedures to appropriate school officials
- Must have a viable means of transportation
- Must have the ability to work independently
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Must possess stamina to stand for long periods of time, mobility to escort pedestrians across streets; ability to work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic; vision to read printed materials and license plates, and hearing and speech to communicate in person.
- Knowledge of basic safety rules; basic safe driving rules and procedures; and techniques for communicating with children and adults.
- Ability to obtain the attention and cooperation of school children and other pedestrians; observing and recording license numbers and incident details accurately; following oral and written directions; and communicating and acting effectively with co-workers, the supervisor, and the general public.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
We offer a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health care, dental, vision, retirement, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, holidays, and Personal Time Off (PTO).