Under direction of the school principal and/or appropriate supervisor, the special education teacher provides direct instruction, instructional and behavioral support, to students enrolled in any of the following settings:
- Inclusion (providing special education services in the regular education setting)
- Self-Contained (providing special education services outside the regular education setting)
- Hybrid (providing special education services both in and outside the regular education setting)
- And/or any other special education setting.
This teacher works in collaboration with general education teachers.
EDUCATION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Assists in the development of Individual Education Programs (IEP) and behavior plans.
- Implements all district Special Education procedures.
BA in the applicable field from an accredited college or university RIDE Requirements:
Secondary Grades Special Education Teacher, Grades 7-12 DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND CURRICULAR LINKAGES
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS STANDARDSplemental Information
- Creates an environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Participates in district and school-based professional development activities.
- Plans and conducts activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration and work time that provides students with opportunities to learn, observe, question, and investigate. *Instructs students individually and in groups using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions and demonstrations.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests
- Knowledgeable in the use and implementation of assistive technology
- Takes all necessary safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Develops and maintains positive and cooperative interactions and communications with parents, colleagues and community.
- Monitors and assesses student progress and adjusts student instruction accordingly.
- Makes recommendations about appropriate accommodations for all types of formal assessments
- Makes recommendations to mainstream staff about the types of accommodations, adaptations, special resources, courses, classes, and classroom adjustments that are appropriate for each special education student
- Develops IEPs in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Creates and implements behavior intervention plans needed to achieve a positive learning environment
- Consistently implements the classroom behavior management point/level system
- Maintains data to support the effectiveness of intervention techniques
- Works to develop individual and classroom interventions
- Documents incident reports relating to crisis/time out/restraint
- Schedules three year re-evaluations for students with disabilities in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Ability to instruct and support students at the middle and high school level; ability to develop and implement appropriate goals and objectives for each individual student.
- Good communication and human relations skills needed in order to collaborate with classroom teachers, related service providers, students, parents and community agencies, ability to work effectively and cooperatively as a member of the Team of Qualified Professionals and other school teams to implement administrative policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated proficiency with PC-based computer applications, Microsoft Office applications, email, web applications, and industry specific technology.
- You must complete the new hire compliance training prior to your first day of employment
- Bilingual Preferred
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check. Selected candidates cannot begin work until passing their background check.
We offer a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health care, dental, vision, retirement, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, holidays, and Personal Time Off (PTO).