Company DescriptionAbout KIPP DC Public Schools
By 2025, KIPP DC will build upon two decades of proven results to develop into a more impactful, innovative, and inclusive school system that provides joyful, identity-affirming learning experiences so that all students and alumni achieve extraordinary outcomes.
Our work is grounded in a commitment to excellence, equity, and justice. We believe all students have the right to rigorous, relevant, and joyful learning experiences led by exceptionally talented and diverse educators who promote student achievement and a sense of belonging. We believe students and teachers best succeed when surrounded by an ecosystem of supports, including our central headquarters team that supports KIPP DC's 20 schools, 7,300 students, and 1,300 teachers, leaders, and staff members dedicated to this mission. From a financial perspective, KIPP DC will have revenue of more than $220M in FY22 and a balance sheet of almost $500M. Position Overview
The Managing Director of Operations is a critical member of the Operations team at KIPP DC, ensuring that all schools have excellent operational services needed to realize its mission. The Managing Director of Operations leads school-based operations, crisis management, the meal program, and other shared services. The Managing Director of Operations is a collaborative member of the KIPP DC Team, working across both regional and school-based teams. The Managing Director of Operations is responsible for directly managing a combination of Directors and Associate Directors across a regional team as well as supporting across a range of business and operational initiatives. Through close work with the Vice President of Operations, the Managing Director of Operations will uphold a standard of excellence by providing financial and operational oversight.
The Managing Director of Operations role is an exempt position and will report to the Vice President Of Operations. Job DescriptionKey Responsibilities:
- Team Management (30%)
- Directly manages up to 6 direct reports at the director/AD level
- Recruit, select, train, manage and develop regional operations staff
- Directly manages leaders of school-based operations with short and long-term goal setting and personnel management
- Identifies opportunities and leads the change management process to establish the team as collaborative and school-centric, supporting partnerships across the organization
- Collaborates closely with the academic team to ensure operations support academic priorities
- Creates a professional development plan for all members of the team to increase their capacity, technical knowledge base, and soft skill growth
- School-based Operations and Finance Leadership (30%)
- Provides senior-level leadership and oversight in the areas of school-based operations, including (but not limited to) meal program, emergency preparedness, school-based purchasing and accounting, safety and security, and janitorial services
- Supports the design, revision, and roll out for the creation of new operational systems, structures, and policies, and adeptly manage communication and project plans to ensure thorough understanding and follow-through
- Assists with monitoring fiscal performance and works with the Regional Operations Team to support Headquarters and school-based compliance requirements of all school operations budgets
- Provides support with procurement and inventory; manages fixed assets tracking. Works with Regional Operations Team Campus to ensure execution of procurement processes and guidelines that synchronize with Headquarters financial systems.
- Supports the VP of Operations in managing all aspects of the organization's day-to-day operations; supports HDQ colleagues, the Board, and appropriate school-based staff through operational modeling and data-driven analysis
- Leverages technology to maximize the efficiency of the operational needs of the organization, including inventory, visitor management, and staff management
- Oversees the creation of long and short-range operational models for new initiatives in collaboration with schools and appropriate HDQ colleagues
- Emergency Preparation and Crisis management (15%)
- Supports with setting strategy for operational risk management and emergency preparation at KIPP DC; works closely with relevant internal and external stakeholders; includes ensuring appropriate insurance coverage for operational supports and risk management practices, and emergency prep policies/procedures/trainings
- Partners with Director of Safety and Security, Chief Academic Officer and academic team on organizational response to crisis and emergency situations; typically, crisis and emergency situations are led by the academic team with strong support from headquarters teams, particularly school-based operations.
- Community Engagement (15%)
- Maintains external relationships including MPD, OSSE, DME, PCSB, and other agencies as needed (including but not limited to attending Advisory Neighborhood Commission meetings) to represent and protect the KIPP DC campus community.
- Leads high-stakes special projects as needed (10%)
- This could be based on changing organizational needs and demands.
Additional InformationTo Apply
- Commitment to equity
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree in business administration or similar is preferred
- 10+ years of professional work experience required; at least 7 years experience in K-12 systems
- Significant experience operating a for-profit and/or non-profit, ideally at education nonprofits or charter management organizations
- Experience managing multiple people and multiple teams required
- Experience managing a >$5M budget or budgets required
- Experience and/or exposure to multiple lines of business with a demonstrated mix in both the public and private sector
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities
- Proven project management skills as it relates to the creation of different systems and structures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams across the organization
- Demonstrates integrity, both in words and actions, and encourages ethical behavior and decision making
- Ability to convey complex technical concepts and solutions to broad audiences
Please submit an online application through our website at http://www.kippdc.org/careers . If you have any questions, please direct them to our recruitment team via e-mail at email@example.com. Applicants are encouraged to apply early as the start date for this position is immediate. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KIPP DC Public Schools does not discriminate against, or tolerate discrimination against, employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis or protected class including, but not limited to, actual or perceived race, color, national origin, immigration status (except as necessary to comply with federal, DC, state, or local law), religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), marital status (including domestic partnership status), genetic information, political affiliation, pregnancy, family responsibilities, personal appearance, veteran status, uniform service member status, status of being unemployed, status of victim a survivor of domestic violence, sexual offense or stalking, matriculation or any other protected class under federal, state, DC, or local law.
Click here or here to review KIPP DC's non-discrimination policy and KIPP DC's Title IX Coordinator's contact information.KIPP DC requires all staff to provide proof that they are up to date on their COVID-19 vaccine (meaning they have received a full course of a COVID vaccine and receive a booster, when they are eligible) or obtain approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons before beginning employment. New hires who have not received all doses of a COVID vaccine, who are eligible for a booster but have not received it, or who are awaiting approval for exemption will not be able to begin employment.