Position at IDEA Public Schools
Role Mission: The Bus Driver Mechanic (CBDM) will provide basic level solutions of repairs and/or diagnose to the campus bus fleet to ensure the availability of units to be in safe operating condition meeting district, state and federal requirements and criteria with the guidance of the District Mechanic. The CBDM will also drive a school bus while ensuring the entire campus fleet is always maintained in a safe operating condition.
What You'll Do - Accountabilities:
Make sure bus fleet is in in good working conditions and meeting district, state and federal requirements
- Ensure campuses fleet are in operational condition before using it to transport students
- Campus Mechanics will seek advice from District Mechanic for any minor repairs on school buses
- Maintain accurate records of operation work orders
Maintain fleet in safe operating condition while having a 7% savings on maintenance cost over previous year
- Operate within the budget parameters set by the Campus Transportation Manager
- Work together with Transportation Manager and District Mechanic to have an accurate inventory of all parts at the campuses level
- Maintain a continuous education and upgrades in diesel engines provided by your District Mechanic
Must be able to lead team and hold them accountable of their work performance
- Have an open communication channel with Transportation Manager of campuses they are assisting
- Able to communicate positively with coworkers and be able to accept positive and negative feedback from District Mechanic and Transportation Manager regarding properly handling school buses
Must manage multiple tasks by prioritize work
- Adapting to changing environments while performing various tasks and by prioritizing work
- Overseeing various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
Safely transports students
- Drives a school bus safely in accordance with scheduled times
- Maintains proper discipline of students
- Established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual; assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Communication - effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Organization - keeps self and others organized through development of efficient systems
- Problem Solving - able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Continuous Improvement - proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum 1 years' experience as Diesel Mechanic (preferred)
- License or Certification: Valid Class A or B Driver's License with "P" and "S" endorsements, DOT Physical Examination, & State Region Certification
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and Skills: One (1) year of experience within the diesel or automotive industry
- Must be able to execute the following mechanic skills and duties:
- PM inspections
- Change lights
- Basic electrical diagnostics, Power/ Ground 2 wire circuits
- Knowledge of Proper fluid levels
- Oil changes without supervision
- Belts/ hoses
- Battery replacement
- Replace Synovia parts
- Computer literate (Service Finder, email, excel)
- Minor repairs, Alternators, coolant reservoirs, Brakes
- Window tint (can be trained on the job)
- Seat repairs (patch work, cover and foam replacement)
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $16.96 for 0 years of experience and $21.20.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report's top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.