Position at IDEA Public Schools
Role Mission: The Bus Driver is responsible for transporting students over scheduled routes to and from a variety of school sites and to assure the safety of the passengers riding the school bus. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class is responsible for ensuring the safety of all passengers including special education students while operating the assigned bus and for ensuring the assigned bus is always in a safe operating condition.
What You'll Do - Accountabilities:
Safely transports students
- Drives a school bus safely in accordance with time schedules; transporting students to and from their homes, a variety of school sites, and on field trips as assigned
- Maintains order and proper discipline of passengers; resolving disputes, documents and reports severe disciplinary cases
- Conducts established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
Understands the basics of transporting students
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual, and assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing, maintenance, and time schedules
- Notifies appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route
- Ensure to always have proper credentials (CDL, Medical Card, & Region One) updated accordingly to DOT and IDEA policy
Must be able to understand and take directions and feedback well
- Have an open communication channel with managers of campuses they drive
- Able to accept negative and positive feedback
- Able to self -reflect on own performance to improve the operation
Must manage multiple tasks by prioritizing work
- Needs to adapt to changing circumstances while performing various tasks
- Handle various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
Be able to work on an open calendar
- Able to work on evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Expected to work a minimum of 32 hours per week - Not including Extra Curricular Activities assigned by campus
- Able to work extended hours when necessary to meet business needs
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
- Education: GED or High School Diploma
- Experience: Experience in the operation of large passenger vehicles; or an equivalent combination of experience and training; ability to manage student behavior
- License or Certification: Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with class P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsements
- Completed bus driver safety training course
- Must be over 21 years old
- Pass alcohol and drug tests
- DOT Physical Examination
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $17.44 for 0 years of experience and $21.80.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report's top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.