The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) is always looking for certified Advanced Academic Programs and Services (AAPS) Resource / Talented & Gifted Teachers! This is an education support position that requires a major in gifted education or a minimum of 15 semester hours in gifted education. Coursework should include content such as nature and needs of gifted students, identification, differentiation of instruction, curriculum design, and models and strategies for teaching gifted students. For those educators who hold a valid state teaching license with an endorsement in gifted education, only 50% (7.5/15 semester hours) of the required coursework in the content area is required.
Dr. Abeel, Instructional Systems Specialist (ISS), for the Education Directorate, Student Services Division shared some insightful information on the three overarching goals of Advanced Academic Programs and Services (AAPS) in DoDEA:
- Shared, collaborative responsibility among all teachers for advanced learning.
- Inclusive continuum of services such that all students are appropriately challenged.
- Emphasis on developing potential, identifying and meeting students’ advanced learning and affective needs, and matching them to services available to all students in all grade levels.
“Our focus is on services, not the label of “gifted.” We identify students’ needs, and then provide appropriately challenging services. We also are much more focused on collaboration among all teachers, since all teachers work with these students. The levels of service approach allows the AAPS Resource Teachers (RTs) to work with ALL students. We are working towards making the program much more inclusive.” – Dr. Abeel
Teacher applicants must submit an application within DoDEA's Employment Application System (EAS) database and select the following teacher categories to be considered for:
- 0433 Teacher, Advanced Academic Programs & Services Resource (Elementary)
- 0434 Teacher, Advanced Academic Programs & Services Resource (Middle)
- 0435 Teacher, Advanced Academic Programs & Services Resource (Secondary)
DoDEA operates 160 schools both overseas and stateside. Within the Target Location/Date section of the application, applicants can select either all locations or specific locations for employment consideration.
APPLY NOW for the 2022-2023 SY: https://webapps.dodea.edu/eas/login.cfm