Who We Are
The National Geographic Society uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world.
Our mission is only complete when our staff, explorers, educators, youth and partners are seen, valued, and heard. We embrace each person’s identity, experiences, and abilities, and we commit to cultivating an environment where everyone benefits from opportunity, mutual respect and a sense of belonging.
We are committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion for our staff, explorers and educators and partners.
How You’ll Contribute
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is a growing team within the Communications Division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
Through partnerships, challenges, projects, and community activations, the National Geographic Society empowers youth to act in their communities and work collectively with others. A skilled omnichannel marketer and leader in data-driven decision-making, the Senior Manager, Youth Initiatives Marketing develops and executes outreach strategies to engage young people in our mission, build the next generation of Explorers, and generate interest and participation in our Youth Initiatives - in particular, an exciting new global youth challenge to reach young people (ages 13-18) and catalyze problem-solvers, advocates, and stewards for the planet. The Sr. Manager directs marketing campaigns for our Youth and Education programs to generate leads, drive acquisition, increase engagement, and facilitate the growth, identity, and visibility of the National Geographic brand and key initiatives with target audiences. They will work with our internal and external partners to create content and unified campaigns that span owned media platforms, paid digital marketing, email marketing, advertising, direct mail, SMS, and new channels and platforms in support of our youth initiatives. This position reports to the Senior Director, Integrated Marketing.
Campaign Strategy (40%):
- Develop and direct marketing strategy and tactical marketing plans to promote NGS’s core products, services, programs, and initiatives to drive engagement, acquisition, growth and retention.
Campaign Execution (40%):
- Manage the development, review, and dissemination of omnichannel campaign collateral including paid digital marketing, email, advertising, and direct mail.
- Coordinate staff, contractors, and vendors to support marketing strategy, timelines, budget, and deadlines.
- Manage project plans, schedules, and processes.
Performance Optimization (20%):
- Work with business owners, channel managers, and data analysts to develop campaign success.
- Track campaign results, analyze data, develop campaign reports, and create action plans for campaign improvements and optimizations.
- Identify where current marketing processes can be improved or where they may need to be developed.
- Stays engaged in market trends and competition through market research and planning.
What You'll Bring:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Communications, Marketing, Education, etc.)
7+ years of experience in marketing or communications; Experience in a non-profit environment focused on youth engagement and outreach preferred.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Experience engaging with and marketing to youth including cultivating youth networks, engaging youth leaders and influencers, and leveraging youth-centric platforms and marketing channels.
- Experience developing data-driven marketing plans
- Aptitude for marketing data analysis and able to deliver strong measurable results
- Expert knowledge of current marketing trends
- Superior communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient processes
- Knowledge of digital marketing, social media platforms, CRM and email messaging tools
- Strong project management experience and experience managing external/vendor relationships.
- Familiarity with and understanding of The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and other data privacy and restrictions engaging with youth audiences.
No direct reports but significant oversight of marketing agencies and media buying contractors.
Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday).
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.