JOB/POSITION TITLE: Security Guard (Full/Part Time)
REPORTS TO: Security Coordinator
STATUS: 12 Months (non-exempt)
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To maintain high visibility at the front of the Hawaii Baptist Academy (HBA), Sagert Campus (Intermediate/High School), Bento Campus (Elementary School) to prevent potential problems from occurring.
- Maintain proper conduct and high moral standards as the initial contact for all visitors at the front gates.
- Enforce regulations and procedures to assure the safety of the students and adults.
- Check seniors’ vehicles to ensure they are displaying parking authorization stickers. Monitor traffic entering and exiting all campuses and parking lot to ensure drivers are driving in a safe manner.
- Monitor parking to ensure visitors and staff park in authorized areas.
- Check all students for authorization to leave school during school hours.
- Monitor all visitors at the front gate and direct all valid visitors to the Front Offices of their respective campuses.
- Maintain a working knowledge of camera system, fire alarm, and whom to notify in case of an emergency situation.
- Open and close the facility, ensuring all persons have left the facility at the end of the day.
- Contact emergency first responders (i.e. fire, police, ambulance) in cases of emergency such as fire or the presence of an unauthorized person.
- Report unsafe equipment, structure, situation, condition or circumstance to the appropriate administrator or supervisor.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with the use of two-way radios.
- Communicate emergency, safety, suspicious, criminal activities to the appropriate administrator or supervisor in a timely manner.
- Complete the daily observation report.
- May need to carry a business mobile phone during on-duty hours to respond to student and faculty needs and emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED OF ALL EMPLOYEES OF HBA: An employee of HBA must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Christ-like Conduct. Imitate the life of Jesus Christ and take on his behavior, mindset, choices, and character, and apply it to everyday life. Exhibit love, humility, compassion, and servanthood, and allow God the opportunity to work in us and to manifest His Glory within us.
- Passion for Our Calling. Respond to God’s passion in our hearts to complete the things He calls us to do. Acknowledge that passion encompasses more than the work, it taps into one’s whole life purpose. Reward of wages and prestige are peripheral to using the God-given gifts and talents to have an effect on the greater good and an impact beyond oneself. Yield passionately to God’s calling to live a life full of joy, satisfaction, and true fulfillment.
- Teamwork. Promotes teamwork through building consensus to develop mutual trust, respect, and commonality of goals. Supports team decisions, collaborates with others to develop team solutions, builds consensus, and resolves conflict.
- Customer Focus. Organizes and prioritizes resources to focus on and exceed customer expectations. Make it “easy to do business with” HBA. Demonstrate understanding, helpfulness, sensitivity, and a concern of the needs and feelings of external and internal customers.
- Effective Communication. Listens carefully to feedback and others’ views and asks clarifying questions to confirm understanding. Clearly states views and opinions. Actively takes responsibility to ensure there is mutual understanding in all viewpoints and communication. Effectively adapts oral and written communication to the needs and interests of the target audience. Openly shares information in a timely manner with others who need that information.
- Results Orientation. Can be counted on to achieve assigned or promised results in a timely manner by utilizing resources effectively. Clarifies expectations and measurements of performance. Seeks guidance or other resources needed. Takes personal ownership for results by holding self and others accountable for results. Shows strong desire and drive for success by identifying and overcoming obstacles. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and is persistent in using extra effort to achieve results. Focuses efforts on, and strives to attain, results that are important to the mission of HBA and specific department goals.
- Practical Thinking and Decision-Making. Identifies, defines, and focuses on specific problems or issues. Determines information needs; collects, analyzes, interprets, and develops it for use in making decisions. Makes timely and appropriate decisions driven by the information, the needs of the organization, and the need for innovation and creativity to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Continuous Improvement. Strives to continually improve one’s own job performance and to better the work environment, work quality, results, and how the work is done. Accepts both the need for and positive potential of change in the workplace. Willing to take managed risk to test approaches that may better satisfy a customer’s needs or to meet HBA’s needs and goals. Develops alternative and imaginative solutions and approaches to problems. Actively looks for opportunities to redesign and improve work methods and makes changes to improve operating efficiency and quality of output.
- Supporting and Leading Change. Participates in all aspects of both the organizational and process oriented change cycles to accomplish the goals set for their particular level of responsibility. Identifies, plans for, and leads change needed to support HBA’s mission and values.
Work Hours: 6:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. / 3:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m./(PT) 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Physical Demands: Be able to lift 40-50 lbs. Patrol: walk up and down stairs. Be able to stand for the entire shift. Be able to respond and/or act quickly to urgent calls by foot/cart. Must be able to drive a gas or electric vehicle (golf cart type).
- Spiritual: Must have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their life and; demonstrate a living relationship with Jesus Christ as described in “The Baptist Faith and Message”, the tenets of the Southern Baptist denomination.
- Skills/Knowledge: Team player, outstanding surveillance and observation skills, good time management, great interpersonal and communication skills, critical thinker and problem-solving skills, report writing skills
- Education/Training: High school diploma is required, first aid training
- Experience: One year of experience as a security guard or similar role.
Note: The above job description reflects the general requirements necessary to describe the principle functions or responsibilities of the job identified and shall not be interpreted as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, either at present or in the future.