This course of studies provides students with the basic concepts and skill set for sports medicine related health careers. It introduces students to topics such as injury prevention, nutrition, first aid/CPR/AED, exercise physiology, and biomechanics. Students study basic human anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, legal and ethical issues in sports medicine, and career preparation. Course competencies have been constructed so as not to go beyond the professional scope of aide/assistant level. Mastery of the material in this course would provide students with a strong background should they wish to pursue certification in areas such as first aid, CPR, AED, and/or personal trainer. Essential Job Functions
- Plans instructional program; demonstrates skills, assigns and evaluates coursework. Administers methods to evaluate progress. Records progress and issues reports to students, parents and administrators.
- Teaches process skills: problem solving, critical thinking, teaming, technical writing and communication related to course content and employment.
- Teaches application skills through personal networked computers, co-curricular activities and school to work transition experiences.
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence.
- Assesses student learning on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs.
- Uses the curriculum of the district to plan daily instructional activities.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Working knowledge of the concepts, principles and methodologies of instruction, learning theory and teaching methodologies. Working skill in computer applications. Demonstrated ability to develop instructional goals for students. Demonstrated ability to prepare and monitor budget. Demonstrated ability to provide work direction to others. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other instructional personnel; to communicate instructional goals to others effectively, orally and in writing. Demonstrated skills in decision making, problem analysis, conflict resolution, interpersonal relationships and planning. Requirements
Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in Sports Medicine. Must hold a license as an Athletic Trainer issued by the Virginia Board of Medicine and have at least two years of documented full time experience as an Athletic Trainer.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.