Responsible for instructing students in an elementary school setting serving grades PreK-5, special education and resource classes to include Art, Music, Physical Education, Library, Foreign Language and/or Technology. Assumes responsibility for all aspects of classroom instruction, assessments and behavior management on a short term or long term basis. Implements teacher created lesson plans or works collaboratively with a team of educators to generate lesson plans, providing differentiated strategies to instruct students at all levels in all content areas.
The permanent substitute will be assigned to one school and will be expected to report to school each day. However, if the need arises, the permanent sub will be required to work in a different elementary school where the location will vary within Chesterfield School Division. The daily assignment within that school will vary depending upon the need for substitutes. The principal or designee will make the daily assignment to the permanent substitute.Essential Job Functions
- Improvises lessons in emergency situations where the teacher is unable to provide detailed lesson plans
- Plans, prepares and delivers appropriate curriculum content to students
- Establishes and communicates clear objectives for all learning activities
- Uses the curriculum of the district to plan daily instructional activities
- Deliver intervention services to all students based on specific goals and objectives established by Chesterfield County Public Schools and the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Remains current in best practices for instructional delivery, assessment and behavior management
- Assesses student learning using multiple tools on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs
- Creates positive educational climate for students
- Possesses a working knowledge of the Virginia Standards of Learning and available state and local resources
- Maintains order within the classroom setting in accordance with division guidelines regarding student behavior management
- Supervises students in non-classroom time (before school, after school, student activities, and fire drills)
- Collaborates with other faculty in planning and delivering instruction to students
- Communicates regularly with parents, administration, and other staff as needed
- Incorporates and models appropriate use of technology to support instruction and student learning
- Ensures compliance with existing applicable federal and state statutes and local policies, regulations and guidelines related to public schools
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence
- Performs other related duties as required.
Must be flexible and willing to adapt to change on short notice, extensive knowledge of the concepts, principles, methodologies and current researched-based practices in the area of elementary education. Considerable knowledge of Virginia Standards of Learning and available state and local resources. Working skill in the use of media and technology to support job functions. Demonstrated ability: to assess, monitor and use data to differentiate instruction; to organize, schedule and monitor program effectiveness; to communicate with others effectively, both orally and in writing; in decision-making, problem analysis and interpersonal relationships; to use and access a wide variety of materials to support instruction; and to effectively manage and supervise students in Pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade. Requirements
Bachelor's Degree required. Eligibility for a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in Elementary Education preferred. Valid driver's license.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.