Dean of Instruction REPORTS TO:
Director of Academics POSITION TYPE:
11-month START DATE:
22-23 School Year COMPENSATION:
Starting at $ 5 9 , 958 annually EVERY OPPORTUNITY STARTS WITH A YES
Great schools begin with great people who believe every day is an opportunity to make a difference. At YES Prep, you have an opportunity to join a family of diverse educators who are leveling the playing field by providing opportunities for a high-quality, college-forward curriculum while also ensuring our students feel supported through their academic journey and empowered to lead choice-filled lives. YES Prep is more than a family of public charter schools, it's the future of public education-it's an opportunity to say, "Yes, you can!
Our campuses are advancing educational equity. Some quick stats about us:
- 17,000 Students
- 1,800 Team Members
- 19 Secondary Campuses
- 6 Elementary Campuses
- 91% Students Who Qualify for Free/Reduced-Price Lunch
- 94% Hispanic & African-American Students
- 90% Students Who Are Accepted to a 4-Year University
- 88% First-Generation College Students
- Top 100 High Schools in the Nation, U.S. News & World Report
We serve the students of Houston, Texas, the 4th largest city across the United States. There are over 20 public-school districts and other great public charter school options, like KIPP Texas-Houston and IDEA Public Schools, within Houston's city limits serving our increasing population. We are a rapidly growing organization, committed to creating life-changing opportunities for over 23,000 students by 2025. THE ROLE
When you join the YES Prep team, some of the exciting work and responsibilities will include:
- Manag ing and develop ing a cohort of teachers ;
- With the Principal and/or Director of Academics, set ting and uphold ing clear expectations and standards for excellent teaching in all content areas ;
- Ensuring that students receive outstanding instruction in all classrooms by observing and evaluating a cohort of teachers . This includes adhering to the district Coaching Cycl e model by ensuring teachers receive at least one classroom observation s and a one-to-one coaching check-in every few weeks ;
- Monitoring and managing the progress toward increased student achievement and campus goals for a cohort of teachers, including coaching teachers to use assessment data to improve the quality and scope of their instruction ;
- Assisting in the planning and delivery of professional learning opportunities to campus teachers and staff during beginning-of-year in-service days, as well as select professional development days throughout the school year ;
- Completing a one-year credentialing track to become a YES Prep Teacher Evaluator ;
- Participating in strategic district-led professional development for instructional leaders ;
- Additional duties as assigned .
We seek staff with diverse backgrounds, talents, interests, and ideas. Certain traits consistently shine through for our most successful employees: passion for the mission, drive for results, care for students, resilience, and humility. Other traits needed and desired for this role are:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- At least 3 years of exemplary teaching
- A v alid Texas t eaching c ertificate or equivalent
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
THE NICE TO HAVES
- Experience in coaching or leading adults
- Compensation- This position is an exempt, salaried position; offers commensurate with experience.
- Health and Supplemental Insurance - A $10 monthly medical option that includes $600 towards a Health Savings Account, in addition to a variety of supplemental benefits including Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, etc. Employees must work 20+ hours a week to be eligible for a full spectrum of benefits, and 10 hours a week minimum for medical benefits.
- Retirement Plans - Participation in Teacher Retirement System of Texas and a 457b Retirement Plan.
- Paid Time Off - E mployees working 20+ hours a week receive 12 days of Paid Time Off in addition to the system closures during the Academic Calendar .
P lease note, p art-time hourly employees (working fewer than 40 hours/week) do not receive pay during system closures . Additionally, 10- and 11-month hourly employees do not receive pay during the months in which they are not working.
- Paid Leave Programming - In the event you need to be out due to medical needs (including maternity and paternity leave), YES Prep offers paid leave, paid out at 100%, based on eligibility and tenure.
- Professional Development - YES Prep values longevity and performance over time. We invest in developing leaders through high-quality programs, effective coaching, and ongoing professional development .
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO EQUITY & DIVERSITY
- Award Winning Culture - The strong cultures of our campuses and Home Office are just one of many reasons we were named Houston's Best Place to work in 2018, 2019, and 2021. We won the 2012 Broad Prize for Excellence in Urban Education and were a 2016 finalist as well.
YES Prep strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their teachers and leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Ninety-five percent (95%) of staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity according to our latest system survey.
YES Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.