PURPOSE OF JOB
Teaches Spanish to students in public, secondary schools by performing the following duties:ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans instruction to achieve learning targets based on the World Readiness standards from ACTFL.
- Creates student learning objectives that are specific, measurable, and equitable.
- Monitors student progress toward learning targets and objectives in all three communicative modes (interpretive, interpersonal, and presentational) on a consistent basis.
- Utilizes students' backgrounds and student interest to tailor learning experiences.
- Communicates primarily in Spanish, using comprehensible input strategies, and equips students with strategies that enable them to stay in the target language. Models classroom routines that reflect practices of the target culture and provides a rich and stimulating learning environment that incorporates authentic resources. Provides students with multiple opportunities to produce language. Uses a variety of strategies to guide students in developing critical thinking skills.
- Meets with parents to discuss student progress and challenges. Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops
- Instructs students by lecturing, demonstrating, and using audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement presentations.
- Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school.
- Assigns lesson and corrects homework.
- Administers tests to evaluate pupil progress, records results, and issues reports to inform parents of progress.
- Keeps an attendance record.
- Maintains discipline in classroom.
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Performs related duties such as sponsoring one or more activities or student organizations, assisting pupils in selecting course of study, and counseling student in adjustment and academic problems.
Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education from four-year college or university
Missouri State Certification in Secondary Education; K-12 SpanishSUCCESS FACTORS
Demonstrated experience and/or training in current techniques and skills in teaching secondary level students.
Teaching experience in urban schools.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.