WHAT IS THE POSITION?
- Superintendent of Schools for the Washoe County School District (WCSD), Reno, NV.
- Additional information on competencies and accomplishments sought as well as required elements of the application, can be found on the WCSD and The Bryan Group (TBG) websites.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE SEARCH PROCESS?
- The search is being conducted by The Bryan Group, a leader and organization development firm with a specialty in executive search for senior level education leaders.
- The application deadline is February 20, 2022 for maximum consideration. Only complete applications will be considered.
- The position starting date is no later than July 1, 2022, earlier if possible.
- Both traditional education candidates and non-traditional candidates, i.e., proven senior leaders from the business, military, government (city, state, federal), and non-profit sectors, will be considered as long as a nexus to education is demonstrated.
- Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Candidate confidentiality is maintained until a candidate is identified as a finalist. All search related materials are destroyed when the search is over, or when a candidate is eliminated at a particular stage in the screening process.
- Finalist credentials and background are thoroughly vetted at the point a candidate is selected as a finalist.
WHAT CREDENTIALS ARE REQUIRED?
- Seeking traditional educators who are licensed administrators in NV, or eligible for NV licensing (NAC 391.170)
- Seeking superior leaders from other sectors - business, military, non-profit, or government (city, state, federal) who have a nexus to education. In this case, they are expected to obtain a NV administrator’s license within three years (NAC 391.171). However, exceptions may be considered as appropriate.
- For all candidates, a Master’s degree is required and doctorate preferred.
- For more information on what the district seeks in a candidate, please visit washoeschools.net/superintendentsearch or tbgleaders.com and download the position posting.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE DISTRICT?
- 62,166 Students - graduation rate 85%; racial diversity 58% (majority Hispanic); FRL 50%; EL 14%; IEP 15%; 45% graduates earned a college or career ready endorsement; 48% qualified for millennium scholarship; #8 in the nation for AP performance in 2020. Source: We Are WCSD
- 4,630 Total Instructional Staff
- 110 Schools
- Five Area Superintendents – each responsible for approximately 20 schools
- Billion Dollar Budget
- Seven Member Board of Trustees
- Strategic Plan
I’M CONSIDERING SEVERAL OPPORTUNITIES, WHY SHOULD I PUT THE WCSD SUPERINTENDENT POSITION AT THE TOP OF MY LIST?
Stellar Location: residents of Reno/Tahoe enjoy a high desert landscape set against a backdrop of the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains. World famous Lake Tahoe is only 45 minutes from Reno. Events in our area are distinctive and renown from hot air balloon and national air races to the Hot August Nights car shows to the annual Chili Cookoff. Add casinos, sports, museums, concerts and no state income tax there is something for everyone to love in Washoe County, Nevada!
District Strengths: a highly professional, skilled, and invested leadership team; high quality teaching staff – 99% working in their area of licensure and 37% have 15 or more years of teaching experience, a Board of Trustees committed to enhancing student readiness for further education, work, and life in general; increased state funding, unique location that offers recreational and lifestyle benefits hard to match in other cities. Source: Great Place to Live, Work, Learn
Great Place to Live, Work, Learn :https://www.washoeschools.net/cms/lib/NV01912265/Centricity/Domain/152/WCSD_accessible.pdf
5 Reasons to Move to Reno:
HOW DO I APPLY?
Submit your application materials directly to TBG at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive confirmation of the receipt of your application materials within a day. Application requirements for both traditional and non-traditional candidates:
- Letter of interest
- Four letters of reference – must be within the past six months
- Three philosophy statements illustrating your knowledge and beliefs on each of the following: leadership, education, and management – no longer than two double-spaced pages each
- Resume: please include language proficiency/fluency
- Credentials with formal verification: degrees (including transcripts), licenses, and certifications
- As a reminder, for full consideration, the application deadline is February 20th, and no candidate will be considered without a complete application. Send inquiries to email@example.com, and not to WCSD.