About the Organization
Fusion Academy is a revolutionary alternative, accredited private school for grades 6-12 that offers a fully individualized classroom: one student, one teacher. As the nationwide leader in one to one schooling, Fusion Academy has campuses throughout the country.
Every student at Fusion is unique - some students are accelerated learners; some need flexible scheduling; and others have special learning needs due to attention challenges, learning differences, or social and emotional difficulties. No matter why students come to Fusion, our model is simple - through compassion and acceptance, Fusion students learn on their terms, on their schedule, and in their learning style.
Our model is a unique academic program offering services year-round on a rolling admissions basis. Our environment is highly personal and socially inclusive. Equal emphasis is placed on students' emotional well-being as it is on academic achievements. In addition to full time enrollment, students at Fusion Academy may take a class for credit or enroll in our tutoring/mentoring program.
The Fusion culture offers a special place to work, teach, and learn. Fusionites are a special brand of educators--they are creative, passionate, embrace change, and have fun! They communicate honestly and with compassion to both students and colleagues. People join the Fusion family for more than just a paycheck; they seek to work with peers who share these values. And because Fusion is growing rapidly, we offer considerable opportunity for career advancement throughout the country. Location
Boston - Hingham DescriptionPosition Summary:
The Special Education Lead ensures that the school is appropriately serving students with disabilities. They are responsible for helping families feel supported and assisting the teachers and leadership team in delivering a successful social, emotional, and academic experience. Key Responsibilities Include:
- Gather and analyze information from outside professionals and collaborate with them to ensure generalization of skills.
- Support teachers in understanding various disabilities and delivering creative accommodations that meet student's needs.
- Support parents in getting their child appropriate services and accommodations in the community and at Fusion.
- Consulting with other teachers on campus who might need support working with a student with challenging learning issues.
- Reviewing testing and documentation from other sources to support supplementary Formal Education Plan writing (accommodations and goals.)
- Providing professional development to staff around particular diagnosis, symptoms, and interventions.
- Leading specific parent education nights.
- Supporting the Head of School with admissions questions about appropriateness of particular students for Fusion.
- Attending student team meetings and student weekly meetings where needed.
- Teaching - Maintaining a case load of students who need that specific resource.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree ** or ** Certificate in Educational Therapy, Special Education, ** or ** similar advanced educational background in learning disabilities, ADHD, and emotional disorders is mandatory.
- Experience with students with learning differences and ADHD is mandatory.
- Four to seven years of experience or training.
- Managerial, program development, and leadership experience necessary.
- A background in counseling or education.
- Patience and a problem-solving approach to issues.
- Strong working knowledge of special education: the IEP process, 504s, and ISPs.
- Our ideal candidate is an outgoing, well-organized individual who is eager to work in a highly dynamic, energetic school setting.
- Candidate must be prepared to teach and tutor material at a high school level immediately.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex. Number of Openings
- Deep respect and understanding for teaching and learning.
- Knowledge and expertise in educational resources and best practices for secondary students.
- Extensive knowledge of mild to moderate disabilities.
- Knowledge of designated instructional services (speech and language, occupational therapy etc.)
- Creative solutions for struggling learners.
- Proactive communication with leadership team and families of students with disabilities.
- Desire and skills to collaborate successfully with teams of teachers.
- Commitment to constant self-improvement.
- Other job related competencies: honesty/integrity, highly organized, follow-through on commitments, persistence, proactivity, calm under pressure, strategic thinking/visioning, creativity/innovation, enthusiasm, listening skills, pro-active communication, persuasion.
- Other cultural competencies): intelligent, patient, ability to handle a fast paced environment, continuous learner, passionate, engaging, personable, high EQ, collaborative, empathic.
This position is currently accepting applications.