Support Staff/Instructional Assistant - Academic SubjectDate Posted:
Northfield CampusDate Available:
Upon Filling PositionClosing Date:
January 21, 2022Additional Information: Show/Hide Rate of Pay:
Not less than $20.00 per hour based on experience Assignment:
Full-time; School-year; 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Reports to:
English Department Coordinator Starting date:
Upon filling position
Position Outcomes :
To assist the teachers in helping students achieve course expectations in their classes. To provide one-on-one assistance to students outside the general education classroom.
General Responsibilities :
This work involves close interaction with staff, students and parents/guardians, with the primary emphasis
on the implementation of specialized educational programs. This individual works under the direction of certified staff. He/she is expected to exercise independent judgment, discretion, and confidentiality and
react appropriately in crisis situations, as well as exhibit initiative, creativity and organizational skills.
- Possession of or ability to obtain Illinois State Board of Education Educator License with Stipulations - Paraprofessional or other ISBE license that requires a college degree.
- Knowledge of and experience with high school students' needs and behavior problems.
- Strong language arts skills in composition, literature, reading, and/or general studies.
- Ability to move about frequently in the classroom and in various other parts of the school.
- Some knowledge of computers and software applications, particularly Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Forms, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Canvas.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and distinctly with staff, outside agencies, and students.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to demonstrate patience, flexibility and judgment in interacting with students with behavioral needs.
- Ability to work with students one-on-one for individualized support.
- Ability to oversee student tutors and help direct their work.
Position Expectations :
- Assists students in the classroom, under the direction of certified staff by:
- providing individualized or group instruction in reading, writing, speaking, and study skills both in and out of the classroom.
- assisting with the administration of assessments including written, oral and computer-assisted forms.
- monitoring students' make-up work or late work in and out of the classroom.
- bringing new students up to date with current class work;
- explaining written or verbal instructions; and
- keeping abreast of lesson plans, test schedules and assignment due dates for each class.
- Assists certified staff by:
- monitoring and tracking attendance and progress of students;
- participating actively in lessons that require student monitoring and assistance;
- maintaining daily behavioral norms of the classroom set by certified staff;
- assisting with grading objective assignments;
- communicating with help desk staff about technology problems;
- providing clerical assistance (e.g., inputting grades, keeping attendance, and other records, photocopying, classroom organization, obtaining library materials, organizing resource materials etc.);
- documenting individualized instruction provided for return to certified staff;
- interacting with staff to discuss students' progress; and
- Attending course committee and department meetings.
- Assists in the Reading and Writing Center (RWC) by:
- overseeing student tutors;
- assisting students in Read-Write Support or Read-Write Strategies (RWS);
- organizing instructional materials for Read-Write students;
- taking attendance for student tutors and students in RWS;
- reporting to the Reading and Writing Center Coordinator about tutor performance;
- reporting to faculty about student performance in RWS;
- completing MTSS reports for students in RWS.
- assisting in the planning and implementation of tutor activities (e.g., tutor training, Tutors in Motion, tutor recruitment, Greg Harris Award);
- supervising the physical space of the RWC (e.g., maintenance of computers, resetting chairs and tables as needed).
- Continues job performance enhancement by participating in professional growth activities.
- Exhibits a positive attitude and projects a positive image of the district to parents, students and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.