The Matterlab Group is a creative consultancy that exists to help transform life outcomes for young people across America. We do that by helping leaders in the education and education-adjacent sectors achieve greater impact. Our team is made up of creative strategists whose professional experiences prior to Matterlab include being classroom educators, marketing and communications experts, and social impact consultants. We came together out of a shared belief in the potential of all young people and a shared passion for positive impact through advancing equity.
To learn more about Matterlab, please visit https://matterlab.org/.
Matterlab Studio is hiring its first President to lead the organization through the next phase of growth. The President will oversee all aspects of business operations and manage implementation of Matterlab’s new By and Beyond 2025 strategic plan, which calls for considerable growth in both size and impact in the years ahead. This entails working side-by-side with the CEO to make the vision a reality — through growing talented teams, creating strong operational and financial practices, overseeing the launch of excellent creative campaigns, and developing the systems and structures to make it all possible.
We are bold in our imagination of what the future of this agency can be, and we are looking for a leader who is eager to work in ways that are both expansive and disciplined. The strategic plan is anchored in the pursuit of economic empowerment — for our client organizations, for the young people they serve, for Matterlab team members, and, as a new part of our servicing model, for freelance talent teams we assemble who are mission-aligned, proximate, alumni, and/or geographically local to client organizations. The President will also oversee each core business function for Matterlab Studio: human resources, marketing, sales, finance, and operations. Primarily, this is a growth role. The President will work to grow revenue, margin, the team (in terms of talent and headcount, currently 11), and reputation.
The President will report to the founder & CEO. In turn, the President role will allow the CEO to spend more time than previously possible on team culture and alignment on mission and vision; business development prospect cultivation; thought leadership (writing); Matterlab Ventures; and financial management of The Matterlab Group as a whole.
The President will manage two VPs (tenure: 4 years and 2 years) and a Business Manager (tenure: >1 year), and the President will have decision-making authority over those and other reporting structures moving forward.
Key Responsibilities of the President include:
- Strategic Direction: Actualize the strategic plan, including but not limited to establishing OKRs (annual objectives and quarterly key results) in collaboration with CEO and managing team to results;
- People Management: Oversee personnel and hiring processes from identification through onboarding. Work with the Studio Leadership Team (currently: CEO and two VPs) to codify and strengthen Matterlab’s internal people management practices (culture) and external client servicing approach (The Matterlab Method);
- Operational Excellence: Ensure the organization’s systems and processes for human resources, finances, operations, legal, and other business practices are creating the conditions for growth and impact. This includes managing the Business Manager, who oversees the Matterlab office in Austin, TX, technology, and other resource management;
- Financial Management: Establish more sophisticated financial management tools and practices that support the path to growth in both revenue and profitability;
- Marketing and Sales: Oversee The Matterlab Group’s brand and external presence through marketing and business development strategies and activities in collaboration with the CEO and head of creative;
- Impact and Innovation: Establish Matterlab’s impact reporting approach both to evaluate new business opportunities vis a vis potential impact and to assess actual impact of/through completed projects. Oversee new product development, at the intersection of market desirability (problem to solve), business feasibility (our expertise), and economic feasibility (the value of the solution and our ability to make a margin);
- Matterlab Ventures Liaison: As a member of The Matterlab Group Leadership Team, support sourcing, developing, piloting, and servicing new ventures. Act as the primary point person between Studio and Ventures, ensuring effective collaboration across the businesses and teams.
We believe these are the most important criteria for Matterlab Studio’s President:
- Proximity: Being proximate to the leaders who Matterlab Studio supports and the communities those leaders serve, whether through shared experience, identities, and/or geographic community. Matterlab supports primarily leaders of color who support primarily communities of color. Of particular importance to us is diversifying the racial makeup of our leadership team (currently made up of our founder and two VPs), which is all-female and all-white;
- Executive Leadership: Experience with managing a P&L, hiring/staffing capacity for projects, and overseeing quality of work product in a service-based business.
- Team & Culture: Curiosity about and interest in our incredible team of people, as individuals and as a team; relatedly, wanting to become a part of our team culture and expand and enhance it, without displacing or overtaking it.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal President candidate has:
- A demonstrated a clear commitment to social impact — whether in a professional or volunteer capacity;
- Successfully built and/or grown a service-based company or division/practice within a company, including:
- Successfully managed or directly serviced the core functions of a business: human resources, finance,operations, sales, and marketing;
- Built high-quality, lasting relationships with team members and partners.
- Direct experience in or strong connection to account management;
- Managing teams, clients, and vendors to accomplish goals, ideally in an agency-like setting.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary of $250,000 accounting for Year 1 On-Target Earnings (including Base Salary plus Incentive-based pay based on growth with no cap), and robust benefits including:
- Unlimited vacation policy with requirement that all team members take at least 2 weeks of paid vacation;
- Employee health, dental, vision, and family leave benefits available;
- 401k with matching contribution up to 2%;
- Paid 12-week sabbatical after five years of service.
- More details can be provided upon request.
Please submit a resume online at https://apply.workable.com/j/1C75C6B70D. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Kevin Bryant at email@example.com.
Matterlab is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.