Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship.
Founded in 2005 and opening our first school in 2006, Democracy Prep set out to prove what is possible for public education in America. Our flagship school, Democracy Prep Charter Middle School, first opened its doors in August 2006. By 2009, DPCS became the highest performing school in Central Harlem and was ranked the number one public middle school in New York City.
Democracy Prep Public Schools currently operates 24 high-performing schools and one program in New York, New Jersey, Baton Rouge, Las Vegas, and San Antonio educating 7,100 citizen-scholars. The incredible growth of the scholars is possible through the tireless and dedicated work of the educators who make up our DREAM Team.
By proving that students, regardless of what zip code they are born into, can perform at high academic levels, we seek to transform not only the lives of the students at Democracy Prep but also the expectation of what public schools can achieve.
To learn more about DPPS, please visit https://democracyprep.org/
The Executive Director (ED) will be the senior executive of the region and will be charged by Democracy Prep Public Schools (DPPS) and the Board of Trustees with leading the establishment of Democracy Prep Schools to achieve breakthrough results for families and scholars in Las Vegas, NV. The ED is responsible for the overall health of the school as outlined by our charter and in service of our mission. The ED’s call to action is threefold:
- Fully understand their local context, and use this understanding to apply and adapt the Democracy Prep model to best serve the needs of the region.
- Reinforce the network’s overall instructional and operational priorities.
- Ensure our scholars are provided a rigorous, safe, and structured learning environment.
Key Responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
- Manage and evaluate the operation and functioning of schools consistent with Democracy Prep’s philosophy, mission, values, and goals and the expectations set out by the charter, including but not limited to instructional programs, extracurricular activities, and discipline systems.
- Ensure school programs, policies, systems, and services are rigorous, high-quality and in alignment with Democracy Prep Schools and local needs.
- Ensures consistent strong talent in each role through leading strategic workforce analysis to ensure strong talent pipelines to best meet organizational needs and goals.
- Oversees reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics and uses these metrics to guide decision making.
- Responsible for development of school-based leadership teams to be effective, equitable and inclusive managers and supervisors and instructional leaders. . Problem-solve and offer guidance to these leaders in difficult situations. Coordinate region-wide events and leadership meetings to ensure clear communication across all schools in the region.
- Assess all data as it relates to student, staff and organizational performance, and can quickly and effectively identify key levers and strategically plan so that the organization improves as quickly as possible.
- Oversee financial and account activities, including working with DPPS to prepare monthly reports to the Board on the financial status of the schools, including charter, legal, and regulatory compliance.
- Identify and implement data-informed, innovative, disciplined, and continuously improving processes and systems for administrative and program teams.
- Equip and hold teams accountable for operating and measuring results under established processes, systems, and metrics.
- Develop strategic partnerships with allies to further organizational goals, where appropriate.
- Collaborate with DPPS external affairs team to design and execute sustainable fundraising plan to support school programming
- Operate as the face of Democracy Prep to help secure local political support for DPPS and DP Nevada strategic plans
A successful first year in this role for the new Executive Director will include:
- Ensure DPAC is 105% enrolled by the beginning of 22-23 SY.
- Increase surplus by 50% by end of year 1.
- Ensure DPACMS maintains a 5 star rating by the end of year 1 and each year thereafter.
- Ensure Democracy Prep Academy Agassi Elementary has a star rating of 3 stars or better by close of year 1.
- Ensure Democracy Prep Academy Agassi High has a star rating of 3 stars or better by close of year 1.
- Increase student enrollment by 600 to the Las Vegas region by the end of year 3.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Executive Director candidate will be:
- An education advocate who shares our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An educator with deep instructional knowledge, instructional coaching skills, and proven results in increasing student performance outcomes
- A master communicator, who is able to effectively interact and communicate with various stakeholder groups including families, students, staff, and the local community.
- An experienced leader, with the ability to manage and motivate diverse stakeholders to achieve at high levels.
- A results-driven problem-solver, with the ability to set and use goals to guide action and objectively measure performance.
- Strategic systems-level thinker who is comfortable analyzing large amounts of data and identifying the key levers to pull in order to drive organizational change through multiple levels of leadership
- An ambassador, who is politically savvy; understands the political environment as it relates to organizational priorities and exhibits professional diplomacy.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree program.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $125,000-150,000. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop. As a CMO employee, EDs have an opportunity of enrolling in a pre-tax 403b or post-tax Roth with Democracy Prep.
Please submit a resume online at https://apply.workable.com/j/2270BD1F32. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Brett Kunsch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertise, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.