Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship.
Founded in 2005 and opening our first school in 2006, Democracy Prep set out to prove what is possible for public education in America. Our flagship school, Democracy Prep Charter Middle School, first opened its doors in August 2006. By 2009, DPCS became the highest performing school in Central Harlem and was ranked the number one public middle school in New York City. Democracy Prep Public Schools currently operates 24 high-performing schools and one program in New York, New Jersey, Baton Rouge, Las Vegas, and San Antonio educating 7,100 citizen-scholars. The incredible growth of the scholars is possible through the tireless and dedicated work of the educators who make up our DREAM Team.
By proving that students, regardless of what zip code they are born into, can perform at high academic levels, we seek to transform not only the lives of the students at Democracy Prep but also the expectation of what public schools can achieve.
To learn more about DPPS, please visit https://democracyprep.org/
The Chief People Officer (CPO) will be responsible for designing and implementing a comprehensive Talent strategy in support of DPPS’ objectives and our strategic plan. Reporting directly to the CEO, the CPO will oversee all aspects of talent across both school and home office communities. The CPO will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and play a critical role in setting overall organizational strategy, as well as serving as a thought leader on all issues related to talent for the organization. Through a collaborative, inclusive, and entrepreneurial style, the CPO will provide leadership and oversight to ensure the proper systems, talent and culture are in place to ensure that Democracy Prep is equipped to fulfill our promise to scholars and families and our deep commitment to racial justice.
Key Responsibilities of the Chief People Officer include:
- Manage HR teams including Recruitment, Human Resources, and Talent Development.
- Mobilize talent teams to support in the execution of our strategic plan, specifically in the areas of: equity and inclusion,
- Support Director of Recruitment and team to develop processes, systems, and metrics to recruit high caliber and diverse talent and provide best-in-class support to schools, regions, and departments.
- Align Democracy Prep’s performance measurement, compensation, and development strategy to the overall talent vision and our belief in social and racial justice. Oversee performance evaluation across the organization at all levels. Provide training and coaching opportunities for managers to lead performance conversations
- Oversee strong training & development of teachers and non-instructional teammates to develop future leaders to ensure strong leadership pipelines with the Talent Development team and Office of the Superintendent,
- Refine career pathways in our schools and home office to increase retention across our regions and home office. Collaborate with senior leaders on succession planning for critical roles. Support in design and administering of teammate satisfaction surveys and synthesize feedback and develop an action plan with senior leaders
- Collaborate with finance and legal to ensure compliance with HR policies in employee relations matters and minimize risk to the organization.
- Support development of talent strategy that provides strategic partnership to instructional and Home Office leaders
A successful first year in this role for the new Chief People Officer will include:
- Ensure 100% of schools are fully hired by 9/1 of each school year.
- Increase Teacher Residents by 50% per year in the first two years.
- Improve Master Teacher Incentives across the Network with 85% or more of educators ranking the Master Teacher incentive program as Effective/Highly Effective by end of year 1.
- Ensure Recruitment Team is ranked in top 5 CMO teams by end of year 1.
- Launch Operations Leadership program by the beginning of year 2.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Chief Talent Officer candidate will be:
- 10+ years of experience in talent management
- People Management experience
- Experienced scaling operations in fast-growth environments
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Strong DEI lens and commitment to racial justice
- Strategic planner yet can and will roll up their sleeves and get in the weeds
- Driven yet collaborative - encourages input and ideas from others, fosters teamwork across the organization by removing barriers to collaboration and manages differences with diplomacy
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $200,000-240,000. Democracy Prep offers a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Please submit a resume online at https://apply.workable.com/j/4ACC95AEDD. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact BriAnn Gibson at email@example.com.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertise, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.