Elementary School Teaching/LD TeacherDate Posted:
41260 - SS. Faith, Hope & Charity SchoolDate Available:
Saints Faith, Hope and Charity School (FHC) is seeking a certified reading specialist to teach in the school's Learning Lab to support both students and teachers.
The Learning Lab at FHC supports students who have a mild to moderate learning differences, strong academic skills, and the ability to succeed in a challenging academic program. The learning specialist will actively engage students in the learning process and executive functioning. It is perferred that the candidate has a background as a reading specialist and specifically, Orton Gillingham programs. A demonstrated competency in multicultural education and educational technology is required, as is a deep concern for educational access, diversity, and inclusion.
The ideal candidate has:
- work in education with emphasis in varied learning disabilities, and experience working with students with mild/moderate learning differences
- Certification in special education, experience with independent schools
- A minimum of two years teaching and/or administration experience in an independent environment
- Strong knowledge of OG programs such as Slant and Wilson
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the following: use of technology, google apps for education, iReady, Units of Study
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport (while being kind, firm, structured, and positive) with students
- Genuine understanding or willingness to learn/understand the culture, community, and the demands students feel on a daily basis
- Willingness and ability to interact professionally, including excellent verbal/written skills, and to collaborate with the FHCTeam, parents, and students
- Strong organizational skills and ability to mentor and coach executive functioning skills
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the FHC community
Students meet with Learning Lab staff during each week, individually or in a small group setting.
The learning specialist:
- Must be facile at teaching within the challenging academic curriculum and the content and skills the students must attain in order to be successful in their classes
- Must collaborate will the school counselor and other Learning Lab Teammates, writing Student Support Plans with appropriate goals, and conducting staffing meetings with faculty and parents
- Develops strategies to best serve each student's unique learning profile
- Secures accommodations for standardized tests
- Communicates regularly with faculty and parents
- Provides case management of students' records and data
- Supports the development and implementation of a process for yearly meeting and check-in for learning program students and families
- Possesses strong people skills in order to be empathetic to students' and parents' needs
Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, supporting the professional development of faculty in differentiated instruction and curriculum designed for learning, and other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor. Why you should join our community:
- We offer generous health/dental/vision plans, 403(b) with matching benefits, and flexible spending accounts;
- Special holiday breaks, including five days off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas, and one weekoff for Spring Break;
- Opportunities to volunteer;
- Get to make an impact on the lives of our FHC asudents.
*The School reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions and nature of a school as a faith-based institution as permitted by law.