MANDARIN BILINGUAL TEACHER (K-8TH GRADE)
Instruction and Learning (provided in Mandarin & English)
High-priority skills and qualities
- Deep belief in anti-racism, diversity, equity, and incisiveness (mission aligned)
- Builds relationships across dimensions of difference (cultural humility)
- Exhibits strong leadership skills (clear vision)
- Models a restorative mindset (students first)
- Continuously seeks ways to improve (reflective)
- Constantly grows and develops teaching practice (lifelong learner)
- Finds creative and efficient ways to leverage resources (adaptable and solutions- focused)
- Near native fluency in spoken and written English and Mandarin
- A license to teach in Missouri or other state (Early Childhood Education, Elementary
- Education, K-6, or K-8) or ability to teach in the country in which the teacher received their training
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Literacy, Language, or a closely related field
Skills and qualities that are a plus but not necessarily a requirement
- Teaching experience in K-8
- Strong data tracking and interpretation habits
- Solid understanding of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
- Knowledge of best practices when working with language learners
- Oversees various areas of classroom instruction, including language program implementation, curriculum, and assessment
- Leads whole class, small group, and individual learning
- Develops a strong classroom community
- Collaborates with the entire K-8 team to promote higher levels of learning for all students
- Monitors student discipline and safety
The annual salary for this position is competitive and rages from $42,541 – $59,093.
Your salary would be based on the highest post-secondary degree you have obtained and the number of years of teaching experience you have. SLLIS also offers a comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability and life insurance).
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Not all applicants will receive an interview for the position, but all applications will be thoroughly reviewed. SLLIS has a multi-stage hiring process which includes a phone screening interview, an interview with our Talent Committee and a final interview with our administration team. This posting is for an applicant pool and the position would begin in August 2022.
Established in 2007, St. Louis Language Immersion Schools, Inc. (“SLLIS”) is a not-for- profit language immersion charter public school located in the City of St. Louis in Missouri. SLLIS currently operates the following programs: the Chinese Program, the French Program, the Spanish Program, and the Middle School Program. At SLLIS, students are taught in their target language whereby 50% of the core subjects (math, language arts, science, and social studies) are in the target language with the goal of academic literacy and a gifted and talented level of rigor for all students. All classrooms are bilingual environments. Visit our website http://sllis.org for more information.
St. Louis Language Immersion School provides a bilingual, culturally responsive, transformational education that enriches the children of St. Louis city.
To dismantle systems of oppression by creating a just, equitable and inclusive school, St. Louis community, and world.
- Provide an accessible and rigorous bilingual education
- Listen to and engage all voices
- Commit to equity, anti-racism and cultural competency
- Reflect on and respond to data throughout our school
- Celebrate mission moments, both big and small
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
SLLIS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. The St. Louis Language Immersion School will honor your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. We are committed to creating a just, equitable and inclusive school, St. Louis community, and world. We actively encourage all qualified applicants to apply.