Student Support ServicesDate Posted:
End of School Year Process for Applying: Online Application Resume 2 Letters of Professional Reference (within the last year) Copy of Certification or Proof of Credentials Summary
The primary responsibility of the school-based counselor will be providing mental health counseling and those services directly related to that counseling. Although this is not a guidance counselor position, all counseling services will be conducted in accordance with policies adopted by the Board of Education and with regulations and procedures of the district. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides individual and/or group counseling to students weekly and according to level of care. Continuously reassess levels of care, levels of intervention, student status, need for changes in treatment strategies, and need for termination or referral. 45%
- Establishes a caseload of 20-30 student clients. Students /clients may be housed at more than one school site. Students are identified as those most in need of mental health services.
- Receives referrals from supervisor.
- Completes a psychosocial assessment (or refer for one).
- Gathers history of problem behaviors from parents, teachers, or other mental health professionals.
- Conducts classroom observations.
- Develops individualized treatment plans and services to address identified problems, needs and behavioral/emotional reactions of students and families (as related to student treatment plans). 20%
- Maintain scase records and recordings according to project director's standards and policies. Document all pertinent information in case records, manage all forms and timely updates to assure all charts meet quality assurance standards. Also submit daily billings for reimbursement to grant through Project Manager, if applicable (LPC's and MSW's, in years 2 and 3, to promote sustainability of program beyond life of grant). 10%
- Works with teachers and other school personnel to design behavior modification programs to improve performance and behavior. 5%
- Maintains contact with parents to ensure continuity of care.
- Corresponds frequently with teachers regarding any goals or objectives the student may be working toward.
- Participates in SBLC, IEP, Expulsion Hearings, School Faculty Staff Development, School Orientation, etc., as appropriate. 5%
- Arranges for psychiatrist or designee to conduct psychiatric evaluation and prescribe medication when necessary. Help schedule follow-up appointments as needed for medication management or update. 5%
- Provides continuity of care by organizing community services for students to participate in during summer, assist in registering students for summer school and/or summer community enrichment programs. 5%
- Attends Staff Meetings and Staff Development Training, as organized by the Director of I CARE and School Counselors, EBRPSS. 5%
- Any other duties assigned by Director of I CARE
Licensed Professional Counselor or MSW in good standing with professional board and with training and work experience in a school setting (preferred) or in a clinical setting with children and adolescents. Licensed psychologists with similar experience will be considered. Individuals possessing certification as a school counselor with experience in writing treatment plans and working with DSM diagnoses may also apply. Position may not be viable beyond life of the grant (3 years).
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System and all of its entities (including Career and Technical Education Programs) does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, disability or gender in its educational programs and activities (including employment and application for employment), and it is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of gender by Title IX (20 USC 168) and on the basis of disability by Section 504 (42 USC 794). The Title IX Coordinator is Andrew Davis, Director of Risk Management (ADavis6@ebrschools.org
), - phone (225)929-8705
. The Section 504 Coordinator is Elizabeth Taylor Chapman, Director of Exceptional Student Services (ETaylor@ebrschools.org
) - phone (225)929-8600