Classified - Custodial/Custodial SubstituteDate Posted:
Custodial ServicesClosing Date:
Open until filledJob Title
: Custodial Substitute
This is a non-contracted job with no benefits Department
: Maintenance and Operations Reports to
: Head Custodian Minimum Salary
: $15.12/hour Click here to visit our interactive map where you can find out more information on each individual school, such as highlights, school data, demographics and more. Aurora Public Schools Compensation and Benefits Summary
Responsible for housekeeping, building security, maintenance and sanitation of assigned school building, grounds and equipment. May assist with translation and/or communication using second language skills when possible. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean building including classrooms, locker rooms, rest rooms, offices and hallways by removing trash, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, dusting, buffing, cleaning carpets, washing windows, scrubbing floors and ceilings
- Change filters; clean heating/cooling vents; inspect boilers for proper pressure settings; routinely examine water/air pipes and facility roof and structure for damage and leaks; and perform minor repairs to building, furniture, equipment, includes changing ceiling tiles. Report building maintenance repairs to immediate supervisor and/or appropriate maintenance department.
- Assure building security by locking/unlocking doors at appropriate times, recognizing and correcting unsafe security conditions or reporting condition to appropriate personnel or authorities.
- Move, unpack and assemble furniture and building equipment.
- Respond to emergencies such as fire alarms, broken pipes, electrical shorts and fires. Refer student behavioral problems to appropriate staff for correction. Assist building staff as needed during emergencies to assure student and staff safety.
- Remove trash, animal droppings and, occasionally, small dead animals from building grounds. Clean gum off sidewalks and graffiti off doors and walls.
- Serve as on-call emergency contact during non-working hours. Perform normal job duties or snow removal when called in to building
- Set up for school programs, meetings, assemblies, special events and after-hours functions as requested. Move computers, public address system, audio-visual equipment, furniture and adjust lighting as needed.
- High school diploma or GED preferred, or two or more years of applicable work experience. Training in asbestos safety, blood-borne pathogens and scissor-lift operation required within six months after hire.
- Those with high school diploma or GED, less than 1 year of experience in custodial services. Those without high school diploma or GED, two or more years of applicable work experience.
- Interpersonal and basic communication skills. Basic math and ability to understand documents, define problems and draw valid conclusions. Basic knowledge of cleaning equipment, supplies, custodial procedures and chemicals handling. Operating knowledge of building maintenance, cleaning supplies and equipment including buffers, carpet cleaning/extraction machines, vacuums, basic hand and power tools, snow blowers and floor scrubbing machines required within two months after hire. Understand operation of building safety systems i.e.; water and electrical shut off valves/switches, fire alarm and building security systems. Must be proficient in the use of various computing devices necessary for operating District applications including Outlook, Oracle, Google and Microsoft Office, and work order system. English language skills required. Oral and written fluency in second language may be preferred or required based on building assignment.
- High exposure to self to heat burns due to working near boilers and hot water pipes; to repetitive motion injuries due to vacuuming, mopping or buffing; to hernia due to heavy lifting; to fatality due to falling from scissor lift or landing under heavy equipment; to loss of limb due to accidents while moving or maintaining heavy equipment; to loss of sight or disfigurement due to chemical spills and broken glass from lights; to bruises due to bumping into objects while moving supplies and equipment; to chemical burns due to improperly mixed or handled chemicals; to cuts due to box openers, damaged equipment, broken glass or knives; and to disease due to bodily fluids and wastes during cleaning. May also expose others to bruises, cuts, burns, disease, fractured bones, loss of limb, loss of sight and/or fatality if a person in this position fails to properly maintain or repair equipment/furniture, properly handle chemicals, clean up spills in a timely fashion and/or properly dispose of bodily fluids/wastes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move over 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; extreme heat; and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to compare and evaluate. The employee is frequently required to analyze, compute, synthesize, use interpersonal skills and compile. The employee is occasionally required to communicate, copy, coordinate, instruct and negotiate.