Position Summary This is a part-time .6875 FTE/5.5 hours per day position working on the CL-192 (192 days per school year) schedule, Mon-Fri, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. This position will primarily provide support in a Life Skills classroom setting.
- The position assists the teacher in planning and implementing educational and behavioral management programs and in providing services that enable students with developmental or other learning disabilities an additional opportunity to benefit from education.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks in support of and preparation for the educational process as well as duties of instructional assistance to the teacher using standardized lessons prepared with sample responses, or lessons prepared by teacher, or lessons prepared by assistant and approved by teacher. Monitors student progress and mastery of social and academic skills by means of periodic testing and evaluation.
- Basic guidelines for class content and objectives are determined by the Supervisor; however, there is considerable latitude for Instructional Assistant autonomy in teaching methods. Considerable time is spent in lesson preparation and review before or after class hours, and students sometimes require additional counseling during after-school hours as well.
- Confer with teacher and assist in preparation of lessons appropriate to level of instruction; directly instruct students, review coverage and comprehension of subject matter and administer tests. Collect, sort and correct lessons and tests; record grades in ledger; compute weekly, monthly and term grades.
- Redistribute lessons and review with students; file as necessary.
- Monitor and supervise students engaged in activities initiated by the teacher. Record student progress and behavior on IEP (Individual Education Program) or other reports; document areas in need of emphasis or reiteration. Tutor on a one-to-one or small group basis as necessary.
- Compose and format homework assignments, charts, posters, memos, newsletters and other items as requested by the teacher. Maintain filing system for these materials. Update bulletin board with displays pertinent to curriculum or student interest.
- Prepare classroom materials using current office technology and equipment (e.g., computer systems, fax, copiers, etc.) and production equipment (e.g., thermofax, punching and binding machine, laminator).
- Supervise students in the Resource Room, classroom or hallways as assigned; insure that an orderly atmosphere is preserved; control aggressive behavior, settle disputes and otherwise encourage cooperative, safe and well-mannered activity.
- Assist in guiding children to develop proper emotional control and discernment in judging and reacting to social situations. Instruct in proper dress, grooming and health habits.
- Orient substitute teachers as to class curriculum and location of teaching materials.
- Arrange parent-teacher conferences; consult with other student instructors when a difficulty involving a specific child arises.
- May budget expenditures for periodicals, textbooks and other supplies; inventory stock, complete purchase orders for additional materials, stock shelves upon arrival and otherwise maintain an inventory of supplies.
- May supervise students in preparation for physical education and monitor activities so that safety precautions are upheld and unruly behavior does not transpire.
- May assist students to board and exit the school bus safely.
- Maintains regular and prompt attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An ability to work with or lead students in group or individual instructional activities.
- Knowledge of grammar, math, language arts, social sciences, health, penmanship and reading principles. Ability to adapt standard educational curriculum to the specialized needs of students with learning disabilities.
- Ability to present instructional material in a clear, sequenced manner while sensitive to the needs of students and to adjust material according to their ability to comprehend.
- Ability to respond to specialized health care requirements.
- Ability to observe, interpret and record data involving the academic record and behavior of students.
- Ability to type, prepare classroom materials or artwork, operate current office technology and equipment (e.g., computer systems, fax, copiers, etc.), or perform other clerical duties.
- Ability to use or learn to use computers and appropriate computer software.
- Ability to work independently and work harmoniously with other teachers and assistants.
- Dependability, adaptability, patience, consistency, high level of communication skills, with resourcefulness are helpful, as is ability to deal with stress of working closely with disabled students.
- Ability to assess situations and act swiftly and appropriately and with sound judgment for the safety and well-being of students and teacher.
- Experience differentiating practices for diverse populations.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse students, staff and community populations.
- Have a high school diploma or the equivalent;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Bilingual proficiency and/or multicultural experience strongly preferred.
To view the complete job description visit: https://www.4j.lane.edu/hr/jobdescriptionsandclassif/classifieddescriptions/
Additional Information Complete application in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or processed, there are no exceptions.
We do not accept walk-in, faxed, or applications via mail. All applications must be submitted using the GovermentJobs website. It is your responsibility to submit a complete application. Submitting an application does not guarantee any candidate an interview. Candidates are interviewed by appointment only. If you apply to more than one job, an application is required for EACH job posting.ALL
required documentation must be scanned and attached in order to submit an online application.
Upon offer of employment applicants must obtain a fingerprint clearance from the Oregon State Police Department and the FBI through a process authorized by the Eugene School District 4J. Applicants would be responsible for the one-time fingerprint clearance fee.An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
The Eugene School District 4J does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ancestry, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity in admission or access to the treatment of employment in its programs and activities as required by state and federal law. If you have any complaints, please contact the HR Department at (541) 790-7670.
It is the District's policy to provide qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with applicable law. Applicants wishing to claim veterans' preference must provide the following military documents verifying their eligibility: Veterans :
A copy of the applicant's Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (a federal DD Form 214 or 215), which shows character of service upon discharge OR
a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs indicating the applicant receives a non-service connected pension. Disabled Veterans :
A copy of the applicant's Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (a federal DD Form 214 or 215), which shows character of service upon discharge AND
a copy of the applicants veteran's disability preference letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (unless the information is included on the DD Form 214 or 215).For veterans' preference to apply, the required military documents must be submitted to the District at the time of application submission.
There are a wide variety of benefits to eligible Eugene School District 4J employees. These benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, optional life and disability, flexible spending accounts, 403B, and an employee assistance program.
Positions at a minimum of four hours (0.5 FTE) are benefit eligible. Please contact the hiring administrator if you have questions about this position's benefit eligibility.
For a complete description of benefits available for 4J employees please visit our Employee Benefits webpage at www.4j.lane.edu/hr/benefits .