Overview of Position
If you are interested in combining this 0.4 position with an additional assignment of the same job title and similar FTE we encourage you to also apply to our BF Day Elementary 0.5 Academic Intervention Teacher position. That posting can be found here; https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/seattleschools/jobs/3326555/b-f-day-elementary-academic-intervention-specialist-0-5-fte?keywords=day&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Under direction of the school principal, plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students in designated subject areas(s), math, reading, etc. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure Success for Every Student. Supervises students in a variety of school related settings. Monitors and evaluates student outcomes. Communicates and interacts with students, parents, staff and community. Develops, selects and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students. Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities.
NOTE: employees who primarily provide academic intervention support for teachers, as they work with students, should be in the role of Academic Intervention Spec - PD, not Academic Intervention Spec - Reading/Math.Essential Functions
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the needs, interests and abilities of individuals to ensure success for every student.
- Establishes learning objectives consistent with appraisal of student needs, requirements of SPS curriculum, and knowledge of human growth and development.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of central staff as required. Provides input when necessary to student IEP's.
- Maintains accurate and complete records as required by law, SPS policy and administrative regulation.
- Coordinates intervention strategies targeted at student needs.
- Acts as liaison between teachers and program specialists and instructional coaches.
Performs related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.Required Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesKnowledge
- Knowledge of district policies and procedures related to teaching
- Knowledge of relevant SPS curriculum
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent human relations skills
- Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education
- Ability to assess student progress
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to identify risk/protective factors of students and align effective intervention strategies/activities
Bachelor's degree; academic preparation for or experience in teaching a culturally, racially and economically diverse student population in an urban school system. Specific programs may require additional academic preparation or professional experience, including; working with bilingual students and assisting them in the transition to regular classrooms; implementing programs designed to prevent the dropout of "at risk" students; and, teaching multi-level, open-concept, and main streamed classes.Experience
Classroom Teacher requirements and experience for applicable grades.Certifications & Licenses
Valid Washington State teacher certification. One or more Secondary Education Endorsement for Middle School & High School positions; Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies; Elementary Education Endorsement required for K-5 positions. Valid WA State driver's license.Clearances
Criminal Justice fingerprint and background check
Seattle Public Schools benefits are administered by the Washington State Healthcare Authority (HCA) under the School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB).
Eligibility for benefits is determined by the number of hours employees are anticipated to work during the school year (September 1 through August 31). Any employee who is schedule to work 630 hours or more in a year is eligible for benefits.
Please check ALL endorsement(s) that appear on your Washington State certificate.
- Agricultural Education
- Arts: Visual
- Bilingual Elementary
- Bilingual Secondary
- Business and Marketing
- Deaf Education
- Early Childhood
- English Language Arts
- English Language Learners
- Environmental and Sustainability
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Gifted Education
- Health and Fitness
- Humanities: Middle Level
- Library Media
- Mathematics: Middle Level
- Music: Choral
- Music: General
- Music: Instrumental
- Science: Earth and Space
- Science: Middle Level
- Science: Physics
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- Special Education: Early Childhood
- Technology Education
- Traffic Safety
- World Languages: Arabic
- World Languages: Chinese
- World Languages: French
- World Languages: German
- World Languages: Hindi
- World Languages: Japanese
- World Languages: Korean
- World Languages: Latin
- World Languages: Spanish
If you are a current Seattle Public Schools employee with a certificated contract and a school assignment for the 2021-2022 school year, have you received approval from your current principal to be released for a transfer after the August 1 transfer deadline?
* Required Question