The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 9th Grade in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School's mission is to cultivate each boy's talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For more than 100 years, The Fessenden School has offered state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum, and programs specifically designed to meet the educational needs of boys.Position Summary
The Fessenden School is seeking a Classroom Aide specializing in Early Childhood, PreK and Kindergarten. The Classroom Aide will support children as they navigate their day between their home base classroom and specialist classes such as art, music, science, and library. (Additional optional hours are also available from 3:00pm to 5:30pm for the Classroom aide to join the Extended Day Program to support children's play, conflict resolution, and general needs.)Schedule
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- School year, Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 2:50pm
- (Additional optional hours available between 3:00pm and 5:30pm in the Extended Day Program)
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support children ages 4-6 in successfully participating in classroom activities.
- Support children during specialist classes that happen outside of the homeroom.
- Support children with conflict resolution with their peers.
- Support children with their lunch time routine-- opening packages, peeling oranges, etc.
- Support positive behavior through verbal reinforcement as well as visual (ie- implementing a sticker chart).
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Maintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Bachelor's degree
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Experience working with young children
- Enthusiasm and communication skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, prioritization and problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to serve in a diverse community of colleagues, students and parents
- Can employ a growth mindset in order maximize the experience
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, justice, diversity and equity
- A commitment to boys and boys' education
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Every applicant must submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references through the Fessenden Website under Employment. Other pertinent materials, may be submitted as well if desired.