Job Title: Long-Term Lower School Substitute Teacher
Department: Lower School
Position Status: Temporary Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To (Position Title): Head of Lower School
Travel Requirements: Grade Level Trips
Presbyterian School is seeking an experienced, dynamic Long-Term Substitute Teacher to teach in the second grade. A qualified candidate will enjoy the elementary learner and be able to create a warm classroom environment to support differentiated, student-centered learning that fosters creativity, critical thinking and problem solving. The Long-Term Lower School Substitute Teacher is encouraged to discuss with leadership, opportunities for professional and social involvement with school and student activities.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, evaluates and revises course curricula, content, materials and methods of instruction for second grade students in an engaging classroom that encourages learning, creativity, critical thinking and problem solving
- Maintains a warm classroom environment with a positive and flexible attitude
- Supervises students on school grounds, during snack/meal breaks, recess periods and attends field trips
- Facilitates student project exhibits, including exchange of regular displays, as well as, special exhibits
- Collaborates with classroom teachers and other faculty on cross-divisional or cross-curricular projects
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, assignments, and papers
- Maintains student attendance records
- Assists with student behavior and reconciliation as required
- Provides first aid assistance to students and reports illnesses to the nurse
- Performs various other duties as assigned by leadership
- Embraces and embodies the unique and essential Mission of the School, demonstrating an understanding of the distinct principles of the school that reside at the heart of our mission statement “Family, School and Church united in the Support and Education of Each Child”
- Experience teaching elementary aged children, independent school preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Teachers Certificate preferred
- Enjoys working in a high energy classroom and is skilled in facilitating an integrated curriculum
- Willingness to embrace new paradigms of student learning
- Possesses computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google Drive, Shared Docs and Sheets or Microsoft equivalent
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to interact with a professional demeanor with staff, general public, and school personnel
- Effective prioritization and time management skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines under pressure
Change of tasks, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working with others as part of a team, and irregular schedule may be required at times.
Physical Requirements of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Secured site facility must adhere to school policy and procedures while on school property.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids:
Laptop or iPad, phone, copier and fax.
Job description statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required
If you're interested in the position, please submit resumes and letters of interest to Charlie Gamatges, Head of Middle School at firstname.lastname@example.org, and complete an employment application online.
Presbyterian School seeks to attract qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds to its faculty, staff and student body who are able to support and further the mission of the school. Accordingly, all positions on the faculty and administrative staff will be filled solely on the basis of merit and without reference to the applicant's age, sex, disability, ethnic or national origin. In light of the school's religious nature, it does reserve the right to consider an applicant's or employee's religious beliefs and practices in employment decisions.