Position : Instructional Aide (6 hour/11 month)
Office of Student Services/Tobin Montessori School
Overview of the Cambridge Public Schools:
Cambridge is a vibrant, diverse city and a central hub and driver of the nation's innovation economy. Home of the renowned educational institutions of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge is also the center of an impressive array of biotechnology, science, and information technology companies.
Educating about 8,000 students JK-12, the Cambridge Public Schools includes award-winning faculty, cutting edge technology, and innovative programs. While each of our public schools is unique, they are joined in a shared vision of rigorous, joyful, and culturally responsive learning plus personalized support for every student. Over 30% of CPS students speak a language other than English at home, and over 65 languages are spoken by our families. Among the most common are Spanish, Haitian Creole, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, and Portuguese. Our schools proudly embrace this diversity.
The Office of Student Services (OSS) is responsible for providing a variety of supports and services to students in Cambridge Public Schools (CPS). Our programs are dedicated to ensuring equitable access and success for students with disabilities and students who have advanced learning needs.
The instructional aide paraprofessional reports to and is supervised by the special educator. He/she is primarily responsible for assisting in the implementation of each student's Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Key responsibilities include:
- Provide assistance with instruction for students with disabilities
- Supervise students with disabilities during non-instructional activities
- Supervise students during transitions
- Collaborate with general education, special education, and related services staff
- Accommodate and modify for student learning and support the general education teacher with the implementation of appropriate accommodations in the general education setting
- Perform related duties as may be designated by the special educator
- Toileting of students is a duty that an individual may be expected and required to perform as a paraprofessional employed by the Cambridge Public Schools
Your Skill Set:
- Above average skills in collaboration
- Excellent skills in oral communication
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve
- Experience working with students in urban environments
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic, patient, and flexible
- Assist in addressing the physical, educational, and social-emotional needs of the students
- Willingness to be trained in de-escalation and safe physical restraint techniques
- Must have the physical ability to work on the floor and move around the room to support students and teachers in curriculum implementation, use of manipulatives and other instructional methods and materials
- Associates degree, or 48 college credits from an accredited college or university
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to slowing and/or stopping the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, as a condition of employment with Cambridge Public Schools, all new hires onboarding after Monday, October 25th, 2021 will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.