Position : SEI Math Interventionist, Grades 1-5
ELL Department/Graham & Parks School/Kennedy-Longfellow School
Overview of Cambridge Public Schools:
The Cambridge Public Schools (CPS), in partnership with our families and community, provides all students with rigorous, joyful, and culturally responsive learning as well as the social, emotional, and academic supports each student needs to achieve their goals and post-secondary success as engaged community members. CPS students and staff, as members of a learning organization engaged in continuous improvement, will demonstrate a growth mindset and embrace risk taking and innovation.
About 8,000 students choose CPS each year, and our diverse student enrollment continues to rise. Over 30% of CPS students speak a language other than English at home, and over 70 languages are spoken by our families. Among the most common are Spanish, Haitian Creole, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, and Portuguese. Our schools proudly embrace this diversity.
The SEI Math Interventionist Teacher will be part of a teaching team with SEI classroom teachers and will provide direct, targeted math support for English Language Learners in grades 1-5.
- Plan targeted math interventions that are appropriately scaffolded for English language learners.
- Modify math intervention materials and programs to fit the academic, linguistic, and literacy needs of ELLs.
- Participate in RTI (Response to Intervention) meetings.
- Partner with classroom teachers in the administration of appropriate assessments as required by the Cambridge Public Schools.
- Participate in the development and implementation of instructional programs based on assessment results and the WIDA ELL Standards.
- Align instruction with the CPS and Massachusetts Math Common Core Frameworks.
- Work cooperatively with personnel from the ELL Department and the SEI classroom teachers.
- Support the selection of appropriate culturally responsive math materials for EL students.
- Attend and share professional development pertaining to best practices in math development for ELs.
- Maintain accurate records of math intervention and progress monitoring.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director of the Bilingual and English Language Acquisition Department.
Your Skill Set :
As the incoming SEI Math Interventionist you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Master's degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a major in Math.
- Massachusetts Educator Licenses in ESL/ELL and/or Math.
- Trained or willing to be trained in math intervention programs.
- Five or more years' experience working with diverse student populations in grades (K - 5) in an urban multicultural setting preferred.
- Proficiency in English and fluency in a language other than English (Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Haitian Creole, Somali or Arabic) preferred.
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to slowing and/or stopping the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, as a condition of employment with Cambridge Public Schools, all new hires onboarding after Monday, October 25th, 2021 will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and commitment to equity in education meet the qualifications of the position as well as stating how you heard about this opportunity.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.