Provides classroom support to teachers in special education classes. Performs routine clerical and instructional assignments within established procedures and standard practices. Requires the protection of sensitive and confidential information. Independent judgment is required. Work is performed under the supervision of the classroom teacher and/or special education coordinator. Work assignments are specific to the needs of the students being served. Essential Job Functions
- Provides clerical assistance - typing, filing, maintaining records and ordering supplies and classroom materials.
- Assists teachers with classroom duties, including correcting work, recording grades, planning work, and administering tests.
- Assists students with academic subjects - may assist students one-on-one, small groups, or whole class depending on the assignment and individual qualifications; documents progress.
- Assists students onto and off the school bus; supervises students at lunch, recess, and in the absence of the teachers.
- Serves as an aide on the school bus as needed.
- Works with students to implement behavior management programs, improve fine motor skills, visual perception, social, vocational and community skills.
- Provides prescribed health care for the health impaired student who requires the presence of a person trained to meet those health needs. May serve in absence of the clinic assistant.
- May assist with physical therapeutic training, including range of motion skills, fine motor skills, visual perception and social skills.
- May assist with toileting students, changing diapers and general hygiene; may be required to handle seizures and other physical complications; handles various complicated positioning equipment; evaluates pain and discomfort levels; evaluates responses to stimuli.
- Escorts students when necessary; restrains out of control students when necessary.
- May be required to attend training during non-contractual hours.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Some knowledge of childhood growth and development, behavior management techniques and clerical procedures; of general academic subjects sufficient to teach others. Demonstrated ability to supervise children in the absence of a supervisor; to perform basic clerical tasks, communicate effectively orally and in writing and follow oral and written instructions. Demonstrated ability to work well with students, staff and parents in a professional manner.Requirements
High School diploma, training, or experience sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. The position requires current First Aid/CPR /AED certification. Individuals must attend provided training and renew as mandated. Assignment placement may require additional training requirements such as and/or specific training.
Instructional Assistants working in Title I Schools
must meet the following minimum state requirements:
- Has passed the Paraprofessional Assessment with a minimum score of 455 or
- Has a minimum of 48 semester hours/credits from a regionally accredited college or university
College transcripts or parapro scores must be submitted to be considered for this position.
Supporting documents (resumes, reference letters, transcripts, etc.) may be uploaded to the application or mailed/hand-delivered to the School Board Administration Office, located at 9900 Krause Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832. Supporting documentation must be received prior to the position closing date.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services ( CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.