Provides support services for teachers and administrators. Performs routine clerical and/or instructional assignments within established procedures and standard practices. Tasks performed are outlined in oral and written instructions; employee has some control over work assignments. Contacts are made within and outside the school and may require the handling of sensitive information or dealing tactfully with parents, teachers, and staff. Some judgment is required. Each position will have a specific set of work assignments particular to meeting the needs of the students or department being served.Essential Job Functions
- Assists teachers with classroom duties, including providing small group instruction as directed by the teacher.
- Assists students with academic subjects; one-to-one, small group, or whole class support.
- Prepares and reproduces classroom materials; assists with bulletin boards and displays.
- Assists students on and off the school bus; supervises students at lunch and may need to assist with supervision in library, computer lab, classroom, and playground, depending on circumstances.
- Assists in classrooms and office as assigned and as needed.
- Provides clerical assistance - including typing, filing, maintaining records, attendance, ordering supplies and materials.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Some knowledge of childhood growth and development, behavior management techniques and clerical procedures. Some knowledge of general academic subjects sufficient to teach others. Demonstrated ability to supervise children in the absence of a supervisor. Demonstrated ability to perform basic clerical tasks, communicate effectively orally and in writing, and ability to follow oral and written instructions. Demonstrated ability to work well with students, staff, and parents in a professional manner.Requirements
High School diploma, training, or experience sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Supporting documents (resumes, reference letters, transcripts, etc.) may be uploaded to the application or mailed/hand delivered to the School Board Administration Office, located at 9900 Krause Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832. Supporting documentation must be received prior to the position closing date.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.
Instructional Assistants working in Title I Schools
must also meet the following minimum state requirements:
- Has passed the Paraprofessional Assessment with a minimum score of 455 or
- Has a minimum of 48 semester hours/credits from a regionally accredited college or university
College transcripts or parapro scores must be submitted to be considered for this position.