Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools-growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking a passionate Interim On-call Paraprofessional
to support students with special needs in our integrated co-teaching classrooms. The Paraprofessional will assist in an as-needed, on-call capacity with behavior interventions to support the student in need with accessing their education.
This position will serve as a school resource and support for students with regards to special education services and regulations. The Paraprofessional
will work closely with the Student Support Team (SST) to directly support students in behavioral need. They should be able to monitor students and manage their continuous progress through data collection and observation and provide information, support and training to students in need.
should be flexible, self-motivated, and a team player. To be successful as a paraprofessional, the candidate should demonstrate patience, compassion, and empathy when working with students, as well as professionalism when representing DREAM. The candidate should have strong management and organizational skills, as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
This is a part-time, hourly position. The Paraprofessional will be called in to support during regular school hours as needed. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a guide in instructing students on proper classroom behavior
- Help teachers keep records and data regarding the implementation of student behavior plans
- Assist with implementing alternative schedules for students including breaks, incentives, etc.
- Reinforce lessons by reviewing material one-on-one for student in need
- Supervise student during academic blocks, lunch and/or recess
- Maintain safety of students and act as a positive role model.
- De-escalate students and use counseling skills.
- Regularly collect data to track students' behavior progress
- Follow Functional Communication Protocols and Behavior Protocols to respond to students' behavior appropriately and successfully.
- Collaborate with the Lead Teacher, special education service providers (speech, PT,OT), ELL teacher and other Assistant Teachers to address student needs in the classroom.
- Contribute productively to the school as a whole.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation and hours (on days that you are called in):
- High School Diploma or GED, AA or 60 credits hours, required
- Passed the ParaPro Exam, strongly preferred
- Child Development Associates credential and/or coursework in early childhood education/human development, strongly preferred
- Experience working in special education and/or with individuals with autism/severe behavioral and academic issues, strongly preferred
- Have prior work or volunteer experience with children or students with special needs
- Be committed to meeting the needs of a diverse student population
- Have a track record of being a team player and community minded
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work independently
- Passion for public schools
- Adherence to a high level of professional and ethical standards
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
- Compensation: $20/hr
- Monday - Thursday 7:30am-4:00pm
- Friday 7:30am-1:00pm
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law. OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters-it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream-along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.DREAM MAXIMS
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.