ELA Instructional Coach, Middle School Date Posted:
10/13/2021 Job Function:
Teachers Grade Level:
Elementary/Middle School Job Type:
Full-Time Start Date: ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents— all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org
. ABOUT THE POSITION
The Instructional Coach, ELA builds the capacity of Meridian's middle school teachers (grades 6-8) through curriculum support, job-embedded individual coaching, and a strong professional learning community. Through collaboration with fellow coaches and the academic leadership team, the Middle School Instructional Coach, ELA facilitates change in the instructional practices of teachers that will result in improved student outcomes, increased growth and retention of teachers, and strong, and supportive professional learning communities.
We seek a coach with strong English Language Arts content knowledge and teaching experience. An ideal candidate will have experience successfully mentoring, growing, and coaching teachers at the middle or high school levels. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS REQUIRED
- Plan and lead school-wide professional development and ELA/Humanities content team meetings to ensure effective data analysis, monitoring of student growth, and content knowledge development
- Create coaching plans and professional learning opportunities aligned to school, teacher, and student needs
- Coach a portfolio of teachers to improve instructional practices in ELA and humanities through observation, debriefing, lesson rehearsal, co-planning, co-teaching, and modeling effective instructional practices for teachers
- Ensure effective and aligned implementation of curricula and research, and monitor to ensure that high quality curricular products are put in front of students
- Lead teachers in diagnosing specific learning needs and in developing a targeted plan of action to address identified areas of improvement
- Ensure the learning needs of all students are met through direct work with students, including small group intervention and one-on-one student support
- Review data as a means of informing planning and help teachers and instructional coaches make informed decisions to drive student achievement
- Ensure teachers monitor student progress, making instructional decisions based on student achievement
- Hold self and assigned teachers accountable for student achievement results, and make coaching adjustments grounded in student outcome results
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records of teacher progress connected to coaching goals
- Engage in self-reflection and continuous improvement by implementing feedback from school leadership and participating in school-wide professional development
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:Educational Background and Work Experience
Skills and Characteristics
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required; a Master's degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years classroom teaching experience, additional years preferred
- Leadership experience as a Mentor Teacher, Department Head, Instructional Coach, Academic Director, or Assistant Principal preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- A proven track record of raising student achievement at the middle or high school level, preferably in high-need schools or with high-need populations
- Successful experience coaching teachers to instructional excellence including knowledge of effective instructional practices and how to provide feedback, coaching, and professional development to teachers to improve the quality of instruction
- Strong ELA content knowledge and familiarity with Common Core Standards; experience with PARCC exam a plus
- Comfort synthesizing and prioritizing data to solve problems and develop strategies to achieve ambitious academic goals
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- A demonstrated passion for advancing educational opportunities in low-income communities
A recent TNTP Insight Survey of our teachers placed our staff's satisfaction with compensation in the top quartile of all charter schools in DC. We also lead the charter sector in compensation transparency, and publish our salary scales for teachers, apprentice teachers, and dedicated aides here
Meridian teachers and staff are compensated competitively for their time and have opportunities to earn additional income through leadership opportunities at the school level, offering extracurricular clubs and sports for students, and facilitating tutoring programs.HOW TO APPLYDo you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to join a collaborative team driving Meridian's continued growth from good to great?
Apply to the Middle School Instructional Coach, ELA position!
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons by November 1, 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran's status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.