Parent and Family Engagement Coordinator Date Posted:
10/13/2021 Job Function:
School Culture Grade Level:
Elementary/Middle School Job Type:
Full-Time Start Date: ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents— all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org
. ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a Parent & Family Engagement Coordinator to support Meridian family engagement, student enrollment, and community partnerships through communication, events, and relationship building.
The Parent & Family Engagement Coordinator will report to the Family & Community Manager and be responsible for the following:
- Serve as a point of contact for family concerns and refer parents/guardians to appropriate school administrators or social service providers; maintain the elementary school's Parent Center so that it is a welcoming and useful resource for all families
- Manage outreach initiatives to increase student enrollment, strengthen community partnerships, and offer families new opportunities for involvement in the Meridian community
- Develop and distribute Meridian's internal and external communications and expand the school's social media presence
- Cultivate external partnerships with local businesses, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood groups to support student and family needs and strengthen Meridian's ties to the local community
- As a member of the Enrollment/Recruitment Team, assist with student recruitment and enrollment including organizing Open Houses, conduct school tours, respond to questions about application procedures, and complete residency verification including conducting home visits as necessary
- Assist with the planning, coordination, execution, and data collection for school events, campaigns, and theme weeks
- Liaise with the school's Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and other parent-led initiatives
- Serve as one of the school's trained medication administrators; Meridian will provide training in First Aid and Epipen administration with partner organizations
- Provide Attendance Clerk/Receptionist desk coverage as necessary, including supporting daily attendance procedures, contacting families, and scheduling meetings.
Ideal candidates will have the following education and experience:
HOW TO APPLY
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university required
- Bilingual Amharic/English or Spanish/English is strongly preferred
- Two or more years of experience in a school, camp, after-school program, or youth services organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to articulate the school's mission, vision, core values, strengths, policies and procedures in public settings
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success working with diverse families
- Proficiency in Google Suite Apps
- Experience with Student Information Systems such as PowerSchool is strongly preferred
- Experience using electronic communication platforms such as Swift Reach, Remind, and MailChimp, and desktop publishing and design software such as Adobe Suite and apps such as Canva, Poster My Wall, and Piktochart
- Commitment to build school, family and community partnerships that support improved student outcomes.
Do you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to help Meridian continue to grow from good to great?
Apply today to the Parent & Family Engagement Coordinator position!
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons by November 1, 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran's status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.