Math Interventionist, Middle School Date Posted:
10/13/2021 Job Function:
Teachers Grade Level:
Elementary/Middle School Job Type:
Full-Time Start Date: ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents— all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org
. ABOUT THE POSITION
The Math Interventionist provides explicit mathematics instruction in a one-to-one or small group setting to improve middle school students' math skills. The Math Interventionist designs and creates intervention plans aligned with regular 6th-8th grade classroom mathematics objectives and tailored to each child or small group. The Math Interventionist monitors student progress and adjusts instruction as needed to increase student mathematics achievement.
The Math Interventionist at Meridian is responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with colleagues in developing cohesive Common Core-aligned curriculum materials, increasing instructional resources, and establishing instructional goals for middle school mathematics
- Preparing standards-based lessons that challenge students' critical thinking
- Utilizing strong content knowledge to effectively present enticing and rigorous Common Core-aligned lessons
- Differentiating instruction to accommodate multiple learning styles and abilities
- Assessing students' academic and developmental growth through observation and a variety of assessment methods
- Tracking and monitoring assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design differentiated lesson plans
- Applying the values of urgency, rigor, and consistency to create a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations
- Communicating with students, parents, school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Establish and implement effective classroom management procedures, and maintain productive, safe, and focused learning environment
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following education and experience:
HOW TO APPLYDo you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to help Meridian continue to grow from good to great?
- Bachelor's degree required. Concentration or advanced degree in education preferred
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university with a focus on mathematics or mathematics instruction. Advanced degree in education preferred;
- Meet the appropriate grade level and subject area requirements to be deemed a Highly Qualified Teacher (HQT) under the No Child Left Behind Act
- Two or more years of teaching experience as a middle or high school teacher in an urban environment with a strong record of student achievement preferred
- Strong content knowledge in math and Common Core math standards;
- Demonstrated results in improving student outcomes and achievement in math;
- Demonstrated competencies in the areas of instructional strategies, classroom management, learning assessment and diagnostics and research related to student learning and pedagogy;
- Extensive knowledge in math curriculum and support resources including technology-based activities that assist and facilitate student progress and web-based activities;
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, school personnel, and parents; and an ability to work cooperatively with others; and,
- Ability to set goals with students and motivate the students to reach their goals.
Apply today to the Math Interventionist position!
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons by November 1, 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran's status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.
One School, One Community, One City... the World Intersects at Meridian