ELL Teacher, Elementary Date Posted:
10/13/2021 Job Function:
Teachers Grade Level:
Elementary/Middle School Job Type:
Full-Time Start Date: ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents— all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org
. ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking an ELL teacher to work with our PreK through 5th grade students. All teaching positions at Meridian are full-time, salaried, 10-month positions.
ELL Teachers at Meridian are responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop and deliver specialized instruction in the classroom designed to help students meet grade-level standards and achieve personal learning goals
- Support ELL students' English language development and their classroom instructional needs
- Partner and interact with school's instructional leadership team, coaches and administration to ensure ELL students receive language support and other forms of academic assistance
- Support oversight and delivery of ACCESS administration
- Tracking and monitor assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design differentiated lesson plans
- Participate in ELL student's transition meetings for those ready to transition out of ELL services
- Initiate and maintain consistent communication and develop constructive partnerships with ELL families
- Communicate with parents about student progress in ESL and recommend ways families can support student at home
- Establish and implement effective classroom management procedures, and maintain a productive, safe, and focused learning environment
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following education and experience:
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university required. Master's degree preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Two or more years of teaching experience as an elementary or middle school teacher in an urban environment preferred
- Experience with co-teaching models preferred
- Understanding of special education strategies preferred
A recent TNTP Insight Survey of our teachers placed our staff's satisfaction with compensation in the top quartile of all charter schools in DC. We also lead the charter sector in compensation transparency, and publish our salary scales for teachers, apprentice teachers, and dedicated aides here
Meridian teachers and staff are compensated competitively for their time and have opportunities to earn additional income through leadership opportunities at the school level, offering extracurricular clubs and sports for students, and facilitating tutoring programs.HOW TO APPLYDo you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to join a collaborative team driving Meridian's continued growth from good to great? Apply to the ELL Teacher position today!
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons by November 1, 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran's status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.
One School, One Community, One City... the World Intersects at Meridian