Assistant Supervisor Transportation - Zone 1
Henrico, VA, US
HCPS - Pupil Transportation
Henrico County Public Schools is one of the sixth largest county public school divisions in Virginia with a nationally recognized educational program. Henrico County is a suburban community surrounding the city of Richmond, VA. We are 104 miles from the Atlantic Ocean to the east; 94 miles from the scenic Sky Line Drive to the west; 106 miles from Washington, D.C. to the north; and 75 miles from the North Carolina border to the south.
Our Mission: Henrico County Public Schools, an innovative leader in educational excellence, will actively engage our students in diverse educational, social and civic learning experiences that inspire and empower them to become contributing citizens.
General Statement of Duties:
This position is open until filled. ZONE 1 (East Office). The employee in this position is responsible for assisting with facilitating the safe and efficient operation of the department by ensuring that all bus routes have daily coverage by securing substitutes. The employee also assists the Transportation Supervisor with the daily functions of the transportation program and assists with the coordination and supervision of the daily operation of the Zone office and communicates effectively with parents, students and school personnel.
• Receives calls from drivers and assistants and secures substitutes
• Determines daily employee and vehicle needs
• Participates in planning and directing the daily activities of thepupil transportation program within a zone office
• Assists with field and athletic trip driver assignments
• Assists with safety training for drivers and assistants
• Responds to incidents and accidents
• Assists with the retrieval and review of video footage capturedfrom the school bus digital video recorder
• Maintains computerized records and files related to thetransportation program
• Responds to concerns from schools, parents, patrons and otheragencies or departments
• Maintains records of routes, drivers, mileage, incident reports,etc.
• Performs inspection of school buses for cleanliness and properequipment
• Performs on-the-road observations of school bus drivers andassistants, correcting and documenting any unsafe practices
• Assists in the supervision of employees and assists in employeeevaluations as necessary
• Communicates with schools and other outside agencies on issuesrelated to the transportation program
• Operates the base station for the two-way radio communication onvehicles assigned to the Department of Pupil Transportation as needed
• Prepares reports as necessary
• Performs related work as assigned
Must have thorough knowledge of pupil transportation operations, routes, state and local bus operation laws and regulations, and county geography. Considerable knowledge of safe and defensive driving methods and procedures. Considerable organizational and problem solving skills. Requires hands-on familiarity with computer operations, keyboard procedures and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, OutLook, etc.). Ability to work effectively with employees, students, parents and staff. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate ideas and directives both orally and in writing. Ability to plan, organize and work well under stressful conditions. Graduation from high school. A minimum of three years' experience in school bus operation. Must hold a valid operator's license with proper endorsements to operate a school bus in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Certification as a School Bus Driver Trainer in Virginia within one year of employment.
This position is open until filled. It is a 12-month/260-day position. The minimum salary is $35,676.20/year or subject to the internal HCPS promotional policy.
How To Apply:
To be considered for the listed vacancy:
Please complete an online application and apply for the vacancy.
Please mail, fax or hand-deliver three signed (3) letters or three signed (3)
reference forms to:
Henrico County Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
P.O. Box 23120
3820 Nine Mile Road
Henrico, VA 23223-0420
Fax: (804) 652-3763
Or go to this link:
Henrico County Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
EOE/Accommodations Upon Request
Public Schools Public Schools
Permanent Fulltime Permanent Full-time
Amount of Travel:
Work At Home: