Food Service/Cafeteria Manager OperationsDate Posted:
Child Nutrition Services Department Cafeteria Manager
12 Month Position Qualifications:
- High school diploma. Associate degree in food service management, nutrition or business preferred.
- Must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver's license and have the ability to use personal vehicle, as this position requires the supervision of multiple locations.
- Five (5) or more years' experience in large-scale food service operations, with at least two years in a supervisory position. Prior food service experience in a school setting preferred.
- Must possess valid food safety certification.
- Menu planning and large-scale food production experience necessary.
- Knowledge of nutrition, sanitation, food safety, and laws/regulations governing food service operations.
- Computer skills in the latest operating system of Microsoft Windows including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, and Publisher, preferred.
- Satisfactory work record & criminal/child abuse clearances (Acts 34 and 151).
- The manager must be capable of receiving and interpreting verbal and written communication and/or conveying details and/or important instructions to employees accurately and quickly, using good judgment.
- Such additional or alternatives to the above qualifications as the board or superintendents may determine appropriate and acceptable.
Manages one or more school kitchens including food preparation and production, ordering of food and supplies, inventory of goods, and management of employees. Communicates with school principals on school related issues such as student meal eligibility, menu related issues, food safety, Child Nutrition guidelines, and overall school food service-related issues. Oversees meal service for assigned schools, staffing for assigned school cafeterias, and compliance with regulatory agencies at the local, state, and federal level. Recommends necessary equipment for assigned kitchens. Responsible for the operation of the Summer Foodservice Program. Operations includes, but is not limited to, food preparation and production, ordering of food and supplies, inventory of goods, and staff management. Collaborates with site program coordinators on issues such as participation numbers, meals, meal counts, menus, food safety, Summer Food Program guidelines, and overall food service-related issues. Oversees meal service for assigned prep site(s), including staffing, and compliance with regulatory agencies at the local, state, and federal levels. Makes recommendations for the efficient and productive operation of the assigned kitchen(s). May be assigned special duties, such as catering, concession stand management, safety and sanitation compliance, training, and employee development. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Follows the School District of the City of Allentown, the Allentown Bureau of Health and USDA Nutrition guidelines, rules and/or regulations pertaining to efficient and sanitary food preparation and service.
- Provides instruction and training to employees in the care of equipment, portion control, serving of food, checking of supplies, sanitation and safety, good customer services techniques and proper record keeping.
- Manages the placement of orders, food received, storage, and the utilization of necessary food and supplies for assigned location(s).
- Supervises the preparation of approved menus and recipes, and the serving of meals and a la carte items.
- Maintains and records inventory of food and supplies, as directed.
- Manages the counting of and verifies cash, preparation of daily cash deposits, and computer records, and reconciliation of cash with accounting records, if applicable.
- Complies and submits daily and monthly reports.
- Reviews and submits employee payroll records.
- Works with students, parents and staff to clarify food service meal concerns.
- Manages and ensures accurate meal count by eligibility category is taken at Point-of-Service.
- Keeps confidential all free and reduced account information as well as other food service-related documentation.
- Responsible for the accurate preparation of meals for the Summer Meals Program. Ensures that the correct number of meals for each program are prepared and ready for pick-up or delivery in a timely manner.
- Works with staff, participants and Summer Food employees to clarify and correct as necessary any food service meal concerns including meal quality, inaccurate meal counts, truck delivery issues/concerns and any other related inefficiency.
- Reviews each site for Summer Food Program and ensures accurate participation counts and meal service.
- Effectively manages time and resources to complete the work in the assigned time.
- Manages and enforces all human resource and departmental policies pertinent to food service staff.
- Provides catering functions where necessary for district related special affairs.
- Reviews and recommends all requests for the purchase of new and/or replacement equipment in cafeterias and kitchens.
- Assists in the inspection of school facilities and operations to insure nutrition standards, food safety and overall employee safety.
- Manages the implementation of the district's Wellness Policy.
- Provides input for the evaluation of assigned staff.
- Responsible for operating kitchen in a financially sound manner.
- Performs other tasks related to the position as assigned.
Share in our community! Grow with our students! Join our district today and be a part of our future!
The Allentown School District is committed to excellence! The richness of The Allentown School District's diversity is strengthened by its central role in educating our students for America's future through academic excellence and celebrating the culturally responsive, athletic and artistic range of talent in the schools. ASD students originate from 51 countries and speak 26 languages.
The Allentown School District offers a comprehensive benefits package to those who qualify. This may include*
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Reimbursement
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Personal and Sick time
- PSERS Retirement Fund
*Eligibility for specific benefits will be outlined in each labor group's specific collective bargaining agreement.
For more information on this position, please read the full description document.