Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
475 CORPORATE SQUARE DR, WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina, 27105
Jul 26, 2021,12:01 AM EST
To facilitate processing of payroll to ensure timely and accurate payment of assigned groups of employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Obtains correct pay levels and authorizations to pay new employees from the Human Resources Department; sets up new employee records in the system and verifies that applicable salary rates are properly applied.
• Creates and maintains computer data files necessary to perform payroll operations:
- Employee Profiles (basic employee information, including payroll deductions)
- Employee Assignments (pay calculation and budget code information)
- Escrow balances (pay withheld by the school district for installment pay periods)
- Leave Balance information, including used, earned, accrued and transferred
- Service dates and longevity information
• Coordinates the payroll process for the assigned school employees:
- Calculates and keys supplements, bonuses, stipends, extra-pay items, installment payouts, annual leave payouts, pro-rata longevity payouts and other miscellaneous pay
- Collects attendance data from schools and office locations
- Verifies accuracy of attendance data keyed by school secretaries before payroll is run
- Keys changes in payroll deductions when necessary; coordinates health insurance changes with the Insurance Specialist.
- Answers questions from school secretaries about payroll keying and transmittal procedures
• Assists with the distribution of payroll checks and direct deposit statements to employees
• Coordinates the completion of various duties with the Lead Payroll Specialist, who is responsible for scheduling the running of payroll jobs to produce payroll checks by the deadlines set for distribution.
• Answers telephone inquiries from administrators, principals, secretaries and employees concerning payroll problems in a courteous manner and with a positive attitude.
• Maintains payroll records, attendance files, and leave records so that they are available and easily located when asked for by the external auditors.
• Provides superior customer service to internal and external callers/customers alike.
• Complete and forward wage verification inquiries as required/authorized by the employee.
• Ensure compliance with garnishment and/or other wage attachment procedures as required by the Court(s) and in accordance with law.
• Other duties as assigned; assists where necessary in other areas of the Finance Department when called upon to do so.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the role of customer service.
• Familiarity with WS/FCS Payroll and HR policies and procedures.
• Oral and written communication skills needed to interact with customers.
• Ability to efficiently operate personal computer and related business software.
• Strong interpersonal skills, especially in the areas of listening, conflict negotiation, problem solving and customer service.
• Ability to absorb and translate complex information quickly and to be able to share it accurately and in a timely fashion that is easy to understand.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times, and to understand and operate within state and federal statutes and WS/FCS policies and procedures regarding the release of public records and information.
Grade 64 | Full-time | 12 months | Minimum salary $2,779 per month
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Graduation from a two-year business school OR High School diploma/GED plus two (2) years' experience in accounting/payroll or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
When applying, please make sure to include all prior experience in your TeacherMatch Personal Portfolio(Application).
Please provide at least two references. One must be the current or most recent supervisor and the other a previous supervisor.