Special Education Assistant
First Colonial High School
Virginia Beach , VA
Classified - Position - Special Education Assistant
Job Number 3700185885 Start Date
Open Date 10/06/2021
Perform responsible human support and paraprofessional work assisting classroom teachers or other professionals to achieve instructional objectives; assisting students with disabilities with achieving established goals and with personal care and mobility.
- Assist classroom teacher in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking specialized tasks to achieve and enhance instructional and behavioral objectives.
- Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.
- Assist with behavior modification as assigned by teacher.
- Lift, move, and operate adaptive equipment.
- Assist students with personal care tasks, including but not limited to, lavatory, clothing, hygiene, diapering, toileting, and wash-up routines.
- Escort students as assigned by teacher or administrator.
- Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.
- Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Provide programmed practice activities and repetitions as developed by teacher, therapist or pathologist.
- Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution.
- Assist with breakfast, lunch, snack, including clean-up.
- Maintain various records and files.
- Perform related work as required.
General knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in the teaching of special education population; ability to maintain files and information; skill in the use of classroom and instructional equipment; ability to operate audio visual, standard office, word and data processing equipment; ability to operate adaptive equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, students, and administrators.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED required. Some experience working with students with disabilities, preferred. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
Please see "Job Posting Link
" below for a complete job description.
External Applicants: If you are interested in applying for this position, you must create an account. Please select "Login and Apply" from the bottom of this posting. After creating an account, please login, complete the online application, and apply for this job.
Eligible Internal Applicants: Follow these instructions
to complete a transfer application. After creating an account, please complete the application and apply for this job.
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Job Posting Link https://www.vbschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_78010/File/Employment/Apply%20Now/Resources/Job%20titles/Special%20Ed%20Assistant.pdf Salary Range: From/To Unified Experience-Based Step Pay Scale:
High School Diploma: Grade 7
Highly Qualified Paraprofessional: Grade 8
Associate Degree: Grade 9
Bachelor's Degree: Grade 10
Salary will be based on creditable years of full-time, verified work experience. Entry Level salary will be awarded at the time of hire. Upon the return of the Employment Verification Forms from the candidate's current and previous employers, the salary will be adjusted if creditable full-time experience is confirmed.
VBCPS offers a full range of benefits including health insurance, paid life insurance, paid sick/annual leave, tuition reimbursement, professional development and membership in the Virginia Retirement System.
FTE 1.000 Start Date
2021-2022 School Yr Additional Job Information
A minimum of three references are required in the reference section of your application. One of the three must be a current or most recent former supervisor.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, disability, marital status, age, genetic information or veteran status in its programs and activities. (Reference: School Board Policies 2-33, 4-4, 4-6)
To seek resolution of grievances resulting from alleged discrimination or to report violations of these policies, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at (757) 263-1133, 2512 George Mason Drive, Municipal Center, Building 6, Virginia Beach, VA, 23456.
Alternative formats of this application which may include taped, Braille, or large print materials are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Call or write the Department of Human Resources, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, 2512 George Mason Drive, P.O. Box 6038, Virginia Beach, VA 23456-0038. Telephone: (757) 263-1133 (voice); (757) 263-1240 (TDD) or email at: email@example.com.