Support Staff/Teacher AssistantDate Posted:
Ann Smith ElementaryDate Available:
Applicants must apply online. Send a letter of interest and resume (that includes 3 references) to Mrs. Karen Harness at email@example.com Position Purpose
Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives, and to free certified professional employees from non-professional duties such as proctoring study halls to enable them to make a contribution to other aspects of the educational program, such as curriculum development. Essential Job Functions
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercises, tests and assessments.Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, guarantees a safe and orderly classroom, and ensures that students are on task.Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.Constructs, copies and distribute and use educational materials as needed.Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement if IEP objectives, etc.Participates in IEP process and serves as resource for the student personnel evaluation team as needed.Assists students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
Work Hazards, Physical and Mental Demands
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
- Works in a classroom environment and school building environment.Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:High School diploma or equivalent.Prior experience working with special needs children desirable.