Company DescriptionOrganizational Overview
In 2020, KIPP Eastern North Carolina (KIPP ENC) and KIPP Charlotte took the first steps to begin to merge to form KIPP North Carolina Public Schools (KIPP NC). Starting in July of 2021, KIPP NC will be a network of eight high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools providing an academically rigorous and joyous school experience to more than 3,500 students in grades K-12 in Charlotte, Durham, Gaston, and Halifax. Additionally, KIPP NC will support several thousand alumni on their journey to and through high school, college, and career.
KIPP NC will build on a rich tradition of academic excellence and relentless fight for social justice present from the founding of both KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP ENC is the second oldest KIPP region in the nation. In its 20 years of operation, KIPP ENC has been a cornerstone for students and families in rural Gaston and Halifax, operating two primary schools, two middle schools, and one high school. Over the past five years, it grew to serve even more students by opening up a middle school in Durham, an urban center in the center part of the state. KIPP Charlotte, which grew out of the strong traditions and academics of KIPP ENC, has supported students and families for the past 13 years, operating one primary school and one middle school in the largest city in North Carolina.
KIPP North Carolina will build upon the successes and experiences of KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte to provide inclusive school environments and an educational program that will enable our students to lead full lives and equip graduates to be future leaders and agents of change in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP NC also will continue to engage in direct, anti-racist work, and it will contribute meaningfully to the dismantling of structures of inequality within our organization, schools, and classrooms. KIPP NC will be committed to expanding our efforts to embed anti-racism in all of our activities and engagements within our classrooms and schools, across our organization, and throughout the State of North Carolina. All of this will be in a tireless effort to create classrooms that are homeplaces for our students, places where they feel safe, loved, validated, seen, and heard, places where all their beautiful identities will be affirmed and celebrated, and places where they will learn the academic knowledge and skills needed for college, career, and beyond.Job Description
About the Certified Nursing Assistant
The Certified Nursing Assistant reporting to the School Nurse with support from the school Principal will collaborate with school staff to maintain a safe and healthy environment for KIPP North Carolina students. They will work with staff and families to provide the highest quality of service to all students. The Certified Nursing Assistant will be a member of the school operations team.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Works to remove, modify, or reduce health-related barriers to learning
- Provides well-student care, health care, first aid, immunizations, and assistance to students at their school; creates a comforting and nurturing environment for ill students
- Provides daily, individual care to students, including but not limited to managing daily medications required by students, administering doctor prescribed medications to students and helping students with physical disabilities
- Advises the Director of School Operations and other school staff as needed regarding initiatives, processes, and systems necessary to ensure a healthy school community
- Builds emergency preparedness plans and trains all staff on them to ensure staff school-wide are ready for health emergencies
- Communicates daily with families around student wellness and health concerns
- Participates in necessary student health events that may occur on non-school days, e.g., New Student Registration
- Performs screenings for scoliosis, vision, hearing, height, weight, and/or other conditions and make referrals and follow-up
- Completes, updates, and maintains student records (accident reports, health records), and completes and submits reports; effectively and efficiently manages the systems for student health paperwork
- Ensures 100% collection of student health documentation for incoming new students
- Maintains physical student health files and ensures they are organized and up-to-date
- Audits student health files annually
- Transfers all health materials and necessary information for student transfers between campuses
- Maintains the security of confidential information
- Collects and maintains student incident forms, ensuring that all applicable parties have documented all pertinent details
- Collaborates with school staff to create and maintain wellness programming to support healthy opportunities for students
- Maintains all mandated COVID protocols and holds staff and students accountable to those health protocols.
The following is required of all aspiring Certified Nursing Assistant candidates:
- A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP NC and an unwavering belief in the potential of all our students
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- Possess a deep commitment to both racial equity and improving the lives of kids from low-income communities; experience working within predominantly Black, Brown, and/or low-income communities
- Active NC Nursing Aide 2
- Certified Medical Assistant - preferred
- CPR Certified
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Strong work ethic coupled with enthusiastic and passionate approach to one's work
The following are not required but are advantageous for candidates:
- Previous school nursing experience preferred
- Strong preference for candidates with prior experience in a charter or independent school environment
- Fluency in Spanish
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is offered.
KIPP North Carolina does not and shall not discriminate on the race, color, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, source of income, or status as a veteran in any of its activities or operations.