Instructional Specialist, Special Education (Elementary)
Instructional - Position - Other, please specify Job Number :
3700184599 Start Date : Open Date :
09/10/2021 Closing Date :
09/24/2021 Job Summary
Position is responsible for providing leadership, guidance and expertise and monitoring of the division's special education programs. Position chairs eligibility/IEP meetings and manifestation determination meetings; interprets state and federal regulations; provides on-going professional development and maintains accurate databases supporting the division's special education programs in compliance with IDEA. Essential Duties
- Chairs eligibility/IEP meetings and manifestation determination meetings at assigned schools.
- Interprets state and federal regulations governing special education and ensures compliance in assigned special education functional areas.
- Serves as a resource to principals and teachers regarding assigned special education instructional programs.
- Assists teachers in the improvement of instructional performance.
- Analyzes and interprets achievement data; and works with lead teachers/administrative staff to design activities to raise student achievement.
- Assists in developing and conducting division wide Pk-12 professional development for special education instructional staff in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Coordinates meetings with specialists, department chairs, teachers, and administrators and disseminates information regarding current developments and teaching practices in the field.
- Serves as central office contact and liaison with parents and the community regarding assigned special education instructional programs and assists with Child Find Responsibilities for private schools.
- Conducts specific records management tasks in compliance with State and Federal IDEA and records management guidelines.
- Maintains accurate databases in compliance with state and federal special education indicators.
- Facilitates professional development for non-special education staff -administrators regarding IDEA
- Serves as a main liaison with curriculum and instruction to professional staff to coordinate instructional services.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required) Must possess a Bachelor's degree and Collegiate Professional License with endorsements in Special Education, and a minimum of 5 years teaching experience. Must possess demonstrated knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to IDEA requirements. Must possess demonstrated evidence of involvement in school activities and committees involving leadership responsibilities beyond those required in the classroom. Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques and the ability to guide and train teachers in effective techniques and strategies. Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, administrators, advocates, students and others.
For a complete job description, please visit http://nnschools.org/hr/jobs/descriptions/Inst_Specialist_SPED.pdf
. Reports To :
Executive Director Duty Days :
245 Months :
12 Hours :
8 Salary Rate Range :
$57, 815 - $99, 880 Special Considerations :
Paid in accordance with grade 40 on the pay plan. Job Attachment : View Attachment
The Newport News Public Schools prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy and childbirth, marital status or any other basis prohibited by law. (Reference: School Board Policies 2-33, 4-4, and 4-6).