Position Title: Custodian Pay Grade:
3 Period of Employment:
12 monthsDescription Approved/ Revised:
9/2019 FLSA Status
: Non-ExemptSupervised by and/or Reports to:
Head Custodian, Shift Supervisor, School AdministratorsGeneral Responsibilities
: Assists in the sanitation of a school building and grounds, ensuring safe, clean, and orderly conditions.Essential Duties:
(This list is intended solely as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude their addition if they are similar to or a logical extension of the position.)
Requisite Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintains interior of school building. Performs the following routine custodial activities at school site:
- Sweeps, scrubs, mops, strips, seals, and buffs floors; vacuums and shampoos rugs and carpets; dusts and washes windows and other services; maintains sanitary conditions.
- Ensures cafeteria is clean.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area/custodial closet at all times.
- Makes minor repairs to school furniture, equipment, or the building itself.
- Maintains heating, lighting, and electrical controls.
- Maintains exterior of school:
- Maintains playground equipment and rakes playground mulch (elementary schools).
- Maintains landscaping around the building.
- Assists in snow/ice removal from sidewalks and parking lots during inclement weather.
- Monitors dumpsters and reports problems to maintenance.
- Operates heating, lighting, and electrical controls as well as school security systems and fire safety systems.
- Creates and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, building occupants, and the general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- Ability to follow instructions from both the head custodian and the building administrator.
- General knowledge of custodial operations.
- Operates various types of building maintenance equipment.
- Ability to read and follow directions.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- OSHA training as required.
- Serve as role model.
- A minimum of a 6 th grade education preferred.
- Must be able to read, including cleaning product labels.
- Must be able to write.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to: a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, or repetitive motions required. Must be able to life a minimum of 50 lbs.
Manassas City Public Schools assures equal employment opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by federal and state orders and laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks.
This is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. It is neither intended to be, nor should it be construed as, an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position. The administration reserves the right to modify, assign, or remove duties as necessary.