Elementary Teacher K-6 (Applicant Pool)If you are interested in a position for the current school year or the upcoming 2022-23 school year please complete this application to be considered. We use pool postings throughout the entire calendar year to interview and hire teachers. We do not post by specific building openings.Location:
Building PrincipalWork Schedule/FLSA Status:
per negotiated agreement / ExemptSalary Schedule:
As outlined in applicable negotiated agreementPosition Purpose:
Plans for, teaches, and facilitates learning for all students. Creates a positive learning environment. Maintains academic progress, records, and discipline. Works collaboratively with students, parents and staff to provide and implement classroom education to meet the needs of all students.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor's degree in education from an accredited college or university.
- A valid NE Teaching Certificate or the ability to obtain one with appropriate endorsement(s).
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will learn.
- Excellent attendance record
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Best Instructional Practices
- Positive interpersonal skills
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community
- A willingness and demonstrated abilities conducive to a continuous quest for quality education.
- Developing students' cognitive capacity and respect for learning
- Positively fostering students' self-esteem.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Integration of leadership, technology, and communication in to the curriculum.
- Planning for and guiding the learning process to help student achieve program objectives.
- Maintaining an atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Implementing useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures.
- Selecting and using effective instructional methods and learning materials.
- Establishing a cooperative relationship with all assigned students.
- Maintaining open lines of communication with parents, guardians and staff.
- Engaging in professional growth activities through an ongoing program of job related knowledge and skill development.
- Working collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the school's program and support the District's vision, aims and goals.
- Integrating the themes of leadership, technology, and communication with a diverse population.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.Equipment:
This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment use.Travel:
Limited travel may be requested.Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Work in school building environments
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- Contact with personnel within the district and other stakeholders
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the building administration in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to stakeholder needs and maintain a positive attitude with all
- Expected to interact with all internal and external stakeholders in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive service
Terms of Employment
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
This position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
Terms of employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented by OPS.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.