Dept of Technology
Virginia Beach , VA
Administrative - Central Office - Coordinator (Technology)
Job Number 3700183993 Start Date
Under the leadership of the Director of Technology, this position is responsible for the day-to-day database management systems operations to include, building, maintaining, administering and supporting the division's mission critical database infrastructure and securing the data by managing access, privileges and information migration.
- Perform installation, configuration and maintenance of database management systems and related software within the context of a database administration plan.
- Ensure a high performing database environment by developing a database server architecture to provide for the integration of disparate database management systems and servers across the enterprise.
- Perform Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence tasks including dimensional data modeling, OLAP cube design, implementation, reporting and data analysis design and delivery.
- Build/maintain database schema, tables, procedures and permissions.
- Develop/maintain database utilities and automated reporting.
- Automate routine administrative tasks using PowerShell or similar technologies.
- Provide expertise and direction on database issues to development teams; review technical designs and code.
- Release changes to test and production environments.
- Design and implement an effective backup/recovery strategy to support the strategic database environment.
- Establish and enforce database security best practices.
- Setup and configuration of SQL Server instances.
- Apply service packs and hot fixes.
- Troubleshoot performance and stability issues.
- Monitor server availability, schedule jobs, clustering, replication and failover.
- Evaluate new and emerging database management technologies to enable the use of related developmental tools and techniques.
- Evaluate and recommend new database technologies and advise on hardware specifications as needed.
- Design, develop, and maintain a wide array of extract, transform, and load operations both among internal
- systems and between external in SQL Server Integration Services.
- Provide on-call (off-hour and weekend) support for the systems and associated software.
- Prepare and present written reports and oral presentations.
- Perform related work as required.
Must have a thorough knowledge of theory and concepts related to network and object-oriented databases systems; thorough knowledge of database design, software installation, maintenance procedures and techniques, particularly on the Microsoft SQL Server relational database management system platform (Azure/Hybrid); thorough knowledge of industry standard database procedure, software development and data definition language and utilities; thorough knowledge of Data Modeling and Data Normalization techniques; ability to manage multiple databases; ability to write structured computer programs in one or more programming languages; ability to solve multiple and complex problems; ability to evaluate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations; ability to effectively communicate with users of various backgrounds from the novice to the expert programmer; ability to work under time constraints; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with information services administration, administration members, division staff, vendors and the general public; ability to communicate orally and in writing to prepare comprehensive reports valuating office information system needs and to develop effective policy and procedures for computer and system automation. Must be fluent in Microsoft TSQL and Powershell. Experience working in hybrid/on-premise/cloud-based deployments specifically in Azure.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Required:
Bachelor's degree in information technology or related field. Applicable information technology certifications. Must have eight (8) or more years of experience in information technology with at least four (4) years of hands-on experience with SQL server. Four (4) years of experience in the position of a database administrator for SQL server.Preferred:
Master's degree in information technology or related field. Experience with Microsoft.Net development. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
Please see "Job Posting Link
" below for a complete job description.
External Applicants: If you are interested in applying for this position, you must create an account. Please select "Login and Apply" from the bottom of this posting. After creating an account, please login, complete the online application, and apply for this job.
Eligible Internal Applicants: Follow these instructions
to complete a transfer application. After creating an account, please complete the application and apply for this job.Job Posting Link https://www.vbschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_78010/File/Employment/Apply%20Now/Resources/Job%20titles/DatabaseAdministrator.pdf Salary Range: From/To Unified Experience-Based Step Pay Scale:
Salary will be based on creditable years of full-time, verified work experience. Entry Level salary will be awarded at the time of hire. Upon the return of the Employment Verification Forms from the candidate's current and previous employers, the salary will be adjusted if creditable full-time experience is confirmed.
VBCPS offers a full range of benefits including health insurance, paid life insurance, paid sick/annual leave, tuition reimbursement, professional development and membership in the Virginia Retirement System.Additional Job Information
All applicants, both internal and external, must attach a current detailed resume to your electronic application.
A minimum of three references are required in the reference section of your application. One of the three must be a current or most recent former supervisor.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, disability, marital status, age, genetic information or veteran status in its programs and activities. (Reference: School Board Policies 2-33, 4-4, 4-6)
To seek resolution of grievances resulting from alleged discrimination or to report violations of these policies, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at (757) 263-1133, 2512 George Mason Drive, Municipal Center, Building 6, Virginia Beach, VA, 23456.
Alternative formats of this application which may include taped, Braille, or large print materials are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Call or write the Department of Human Resources, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, 2512 George Mason Drive, P.O. Box 6038, Virginia Beach, VA 23456-0038. Telephone: (757) 263-1133 (voice); (757) 263-1240 (TDD) or email at: email@example.com.