DEAN OF STUDENTS-YES PREP SOUTHEAST(IMMEDIATE OPENING)
DEAN OF STUDENTS JDPOSITION:
Dean of StudentsREPORTS TO:
Director of Student SupportPOSITION TYPE:
Starting at $58,783THE CHALLENGE
Across the nation, only half of all students from low-income communities graduate from high school and only 10% earn a college degree. Even though 89% of our students are economically disadvantaged, YES Prep provides evidence that different outcomes are possible. Eighty-three (83%) of YES Prep alumni matriculate to college within one year and alumni like Eddie Zapata are earning their college degrees at five times the rate of their peers with similar socioeconomic backgrounds. How do we do this? YES Prep has 21 campuses serving K-12, 19 campuses of those campuses serving 6th-12th graders, like Monique Bowie . The remaining 2 are YES Prep's newest elementary campuses starting in the 20-21 school year, and we will continue adding 2 elementary campuses per year until 2024. This allows us to serve even more families and provide access to a college preparatory mindset from a child's first schooling experience.
Houston is the 4th largest city and our increasing population translates into 2,000 families on YES Prep's waitlist. YES Prep's student enrollment is estimated to grow from 14,500+ students currently, to 23,000 by the 2024 - 2025 school year.
This challenge is magnified when we are serving the communities who are most impacted by the national pandemic of COVID-19. Regardless of the method of learning-virtual, in-person, or a hybrid model-we will "Keep YES Prep Learning," so that our students maximize their potential and educational experience, maintaining college readiness for all students as the bar. At the end of the day, we will work relentlessly to shape our path forward and use current challenges to become a stronger organization.THE OPPORTUNITY
YES Prep needs a dynamic Dean of Students, with a diverse set of experiences to make our mission a reality. As a YES Prep employee, you will achieve jaw-dropping results, create pathways to opportunity for our students, build transformative relationships, and eliminate educational inequities to advance social justice.
To put it simply, you play an integral role ensuring that all students are provided with a safe learning environment that contributes to their success, builds community, engages families, promotes accountability, develops staff and celebrates growth.THE ROLE
When you join the YES Prep team, some of the exciting work and responsibilities will include:
- Developing, implementing, managing and executing effective school behavior systems by responding to student behavior and ensuring incorporation of parent communication throughout the process;
- Managing, coaching, modeling and developing team members in the area of stakeholder interactions through communication, observations, meetings and collaboration;
- Managing and evaluating comprehensive programs that will assist students in achieving optimal academic success;
- Collecting, maintaining and analyzing relevant student data to evaluate and make recommendations for systems of accountability;
- Developing, sustaining and modeling transformative relationships with various stakeholders including staff, students, families and community members that reinforce campus vision and culture;
- Supporting the development and execution of the campus culture vision;
- Managing and coaching Grade Level Chairs;
- Additional duties as assigned.
We seek staff with diverse backgrounds, talents, interests, and ideas. Certain traits consistently shine through for our most successful employees: passion for the mission, drive for results, care for students, resilience, and humility. Other traits needed and desired for this role are:
THE MUST HAVES
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- At least 3 years as a Teacher of Record or in a student-facing leadership or program role
- At least 1 year serving as a Grade Level Chair or equivalent role
- Experience in coaching or leading adults
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
THE BONUS POINTS
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution
- At least 2+ years serving as a Grade Level Chair or equivalent role
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO EQUITY & DIVERSITY
- Compensation -This position is an exempt, salaried position; salary offers commensurate with experience.
- Health and Supplemental Insurance- A $10 monthly medical option that includes $600 towards a Health Savings Account, in addition to a variety of supplemental benefits including Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, etc. Employees must work 20+ hours a week to be eligible for a full spectrum of benefits, and 10 hours a week minimum for medical benefits.
- Retirement Plans- Participation in Teacher Retirement System of Texas and a 457 Retirement Plan.
- Paid Time Off- Employees working 20+ hours a week receive 12 days of Paid Time Off in addition to the system closures during the Academic Calendar Please note, part-time hourly employees (working fewer than 40 hours/week) do not receive pay during system closures. Additionally, 10- and 11-month hourly employees do not receive pay during the months in which they are not working.
- Paid Leave Programming- In the event you need to be out due to medical needs (including maternity and paternity leave), YES Prep offers paid leave, paid out at 100%, based on eligibility and tenure.
- Professional Development - YES Prep values longevity and performance over time. We invest in developing leaders through high-quality programs, effective coaching, and ongoing professional development.
- Award Winning Culture -The strong cultures of our campuses and Home Office are just one of many reasons we were named Houston's Best Place to work in 2018 and 2019. We won the 2012 Broad Prize for Excellence in Urban Education and were a 2016 finalist as well.
YES Prep strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their teachers and leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Ninety-five percent (95%) of staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity according to our latest system survey.
YES Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.THE NEXT STEPS
If this sounds like your just right job, apply today!
If you are not sure this opportunity is for you, are simply curious, or know someone who would be perfect, please reach out to our Talent team to be connected to a recruiter by filling out this form . Type :
INTERNAL & EXTERNALLocation :
SOUTHEAST CAMPUSJob Family :
CAMPUS LEADERSHIPPosting Start :
08/23/2021Posting End :