District WideClosing Date:
Until FilledSubstitute Secretary Position Purpose
Under the direct supervision of a Supervisor, to provide a wide variety of complex and confidential administrative and secretarial support, communicating information to school district employees, students, parents and others as required. To support all functions of the office ensuring compliance of department/program activities with District policy requirements. Essential Functions
- Composes documents (e.g., correspondence, bulletins, reports) for Department Head or other Department staff for the purpose of requesting or providing information, confirming events, etc.
- Prepares, copies and distributes notices, memoranda or other correspondence for the purpose of informing school employees, students, parents, and others regarding activities, events or other work-related matters.
- Assists in coordinating Department activities and functional responsibilities related to subject areas over which the Department has oversight.
- Attends Department and other related meetings as assigned for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Assists in maintaining the daily/weekly/monthly calendar of the Department Head for the purpose of coordinating the scheduling of work-related appointments, activities, meetings, etc.
- Assists in planning and scheduling department events and activities, and maintaining calendar of department events
- Assists in overseeing workload of the Department Head for the purpose of maximizing efficiency and meeting operational requirements.
- Assists in maintaining documents, files and records for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Answers telephone calls, and provide information and assistance to callers.
- Serves as liaison with outside organizations related to department activities and work.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the department.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Equipment
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone. Travel Requirements
Limited travel to and from meetings may be required. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Ability to describe problems and work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed for position.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the Internet, Outlook, electronic mail).
- Ability to problem solve job-related issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of office management procedures.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations, District policies and procedures, principles, guidelines, and best practices related to department (e.g., Pupil Services, Human Resources, Facilities and Business).
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
*See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
- High school diploma required.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Successful experience with office management in related area preferred.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt